Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Political and/or Religious Differences... or Ignorance and Disinformation?

Geila
    IL - you and my dh are of the same mind. And most of the time I've learned to just ignore things that I don't agree with in these particular relationships. Although my personality is such that doing so is difficult. And the more I ignore, the more I distance myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    And the more I ignore, the more I distance myself.
    I do this too! In fact, when my brothers were getting to me last year because I felt they were treating me poorly, I stopped delivering myself up as a target--only to have them call and say, "What's the matter, why aren't you calling us?"

I so get this. For me, I'm uncomfortable because of what they've been saying, so I withdraw.

This isn't really like that. I really see it more as a cultural movie, although it could be argued that child pageants are a cultural aspect as well. This reminded me of a few different films like Born Into Brothels, Little Miss Sunshine, Whale Rider, 13 in that it illuminated a cultural aspect that I wasn't aware of before. The scantily-clad young girls is nothing new; how many times do we see it with cheerleaders? And I agree with IL that stars just perpetuate the whole thing. But it's part of our culture, whether we like it or not. Frankly, I don't know if a pedophile would have the patience to sit through the whole movie in order to get his kicks. I'm sure there's much more readily available content elsewhere. People's instagram photos for example.

One of the most interesting things to me was the glimpse into Senagal culture and women's roles in it. I don't want to spoil the plot, but that in itself was worth the movie for me. And the young girls and their "dancing" would be really interesting to examine, although that part was not surprising for me. I wish I was taking a class where I could discuss this movie with interested peeps.
    oh the Humbert Humberts of the world, obsessed with 11 year old Lolitas, will definitely sit thru this entire film although I don’t know that there’s any little girl In the film other than the lead who is strong Pedo material. But the lead actress is gorgeous. She was 13 or 14 when the film was shot.

This isn't really like that. I really see it more as a cultural movie, although it could be argued that child pageants are a cultural aspect as well. This reminded me of a few different films like Born Into Brothels, Little Miss Sunshine, Whale Rider, 13 in that it illuminated a cultural aspect that I wasn't aware of before. The scantily-clad young girls is nothing new; how many times do we see it with cheerleaders? And I agree with IL that stars just perpetuate the whole thing. But it's part of our culture, whether we like it or not. Frankly, I don't know if a pedophile would have the patience to sit through the whole movie in order to get his kicks. I'm sure there's much more readily available content elsewhere. People's instagram photos for example.

One of the most interesting things to me was the glimpse into Senagal culture and women's roles in it. I don't want to spoil the plot, but that in itself was worth the movie for me. And the young girls and their "dancing" would be really interesting to examine, although that part was not surprising for me. I wish I was taking a class where I could discuss this movie with interested peeps.
    The cleansing ritual where they threw water on her was certainly interesting.

What was the scene where the blood was dripping from her tribal dress? I didn’t get what that was supposed to be. It was her fantasy, right?

I very much miss IMBD forums. You could go to the forum for this film and discuss this issue. Instead, on Reddit, there are a dozen threads most of them centering on pedophilia and it has nothing to do with the filmmaker’s intent. I will have to scroll through several Reddit threads to find discussion on the interesting cultural practices.

What was the scene about the blood dripping from her travel costume? I didn’t get that.

The film prompted me to do some online reading about traditional Muslim marital practices, so I definitely learned something.

Geila, I find it interesting that you mention that when you disagree with someone that you can tend to pull away from them because of that disagreement. Yet, one of the reasons you hesitate to express a differing opinion is concern that it will harm the relationship. And then in this particular instance you expressed yourself and the relationship seems to still be fine. I’m not a psychologist so I certainly don’t have all the answers, but it sounds like speaking up for yourself might actually be a good thing for your relationships with people who have different opinions.

It's probably a good thing that I live in an echo chamber, as I can be outspoken on issues I feel strongly about. If you haven't noticed...

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    It's probably a good thing that I live in an echo chamber, as I can be outspoken on issues I feel strongly about. If you haven't noticed...
    i will keep you in check. Thank me now, or later.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i will keep you in check. Thank me now, or later.
    I was going to ask you to hold my beer...

I’d put it in the consumerism and media section with ‘spoiler alert’ in the title and then in the first post state that people shouldn’t read further if they don’t want to learn the ending.

Thread Information