Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: RBG dead at 87

In my experience conservatives are big on putting labels on others but progressives or liberals or whatever they want to be called are big on only using the labels that others would like to have used. While labels are useful for helping to understand others (contrary to the view of some here that we need to view everyone as 330 million different people with no commonalities that can be identified) I personally tend to feel that they should only be applied by people to themselves, not applied by others.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    In my experience conservatives are big on putting labels on others but progressives or liberals or whatever they want to be called are big on only using the labels that others would like to have used.
    I'd like to be labeled as 'reasonable', and will look forward to seeing it in your future posts.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

In my experience conservatives are big on putting labels on others but progressives or liberals or whatever they want to be called are big on only using the labels that others would like to have used.
    Who wants to be called “deplorable”, “fascist” or “bitter clinger”?

How intoxicated does one have to be with self-righteousness to believe that was the case? That we only attach labels the target requests, but suffer In turn from those dreadful people calling us all sorts of dreadful names.

Fortunately my Republican husband has seen the light and is voting for Biden. We don’t discuss politics and I was surprised but neither of us vote a straight party ticket. He doesn’t pay a lot of attention to politics but is thoroughly disgusted with his administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Fortunately my Republican husband has seen the light and is voting for Biden.
    Are you sure he's not just afraid to tell you otherwise?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Labels like:

- racist
    - fascist
    - white male
    - right wing extremist
    - colonizer
    - The 1%
    - deplorable
    - sexist
    - homophobic
    - Islamophobic
    - xenophobic
    - capitalist oppressor
    - and so on...

No Alan because first of all I never ask him and he told me he voted for Trump the first time. We lived together for 2 years before we ever talked politics. Mostly he doesn’t pay much attention but lately he is yelling at the tv when Trump talks. I also have a great friend for the past 51 years who votes for him as well as my best friend’s mom who I adore. I may rant on forums but in person I would never presume to tell people what to do. My ex is also happily married to a Republican and the only thing my ex and I could agree on was politics. His wife is a good person and couldn’t stomach voting for him last time. We don’t usually discuss politics with them but she volunteered the information.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Labels like:

- racist
    - fascist
    - white male
    - right wing extremist
    - colonizer
    - The 1%
    - deplorable
    - sexist
    - homophobic
    - Islamophobic
    - xenophobic
    - capitalist oppressor
    - and so on...
    We do seem to be producing more highly specialized insults. TERF, snowflake, gammon, Karen, white savior, melt. And we repurpose more neutral terms like hipster or breeder into pejoratives. It’s a very creative age in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'd like to be labeled as 'reasonable', and will look forward to seeing it in your future posts.
    We will if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    We will if you are.
    Ha, good rejoinder! Even though I always think Alan is reasonable

Thread Information