Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: RBG dead at 87

I’m reading that the President will announce his pick this coming weekend. Then the fun can really begin.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m reading that the President will announce his pick this coming weekend. Then the fun can really begin.
    Right. I would expect the president to go forth and offer up a candidate. What the Senate does with it in 40 some days is the circus.

A democratic operative talking on NPR has the opinion that Democrats in the Senate can indeed stop this process by focusing entirely on procedural matters that keeps issues coming to the floor for a vote

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well, I've finally hit the frugal-one trifecta, Misogynist, Trumper and Hitlerian.....and all in just two days and one thread. Yay Me!
    Nope. Read the article. trump is the Hitler-wanna-be. Trumpers believe his "fake news" dogma.

Friday night was rough. I have heard that ActBlue has raised like $90,000,000 since then.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I agree that the Republicans are hypocritical, and all the blah-blah-blah around why these circumstances are different is lies and obfuscation, in keeping with Trump's patterns. Yeah, the President has the RIGHT to nominate a new justice, but given that the vetting process and procedures generally take a minimum of 2 months, the idea of rushing this thru in less than 6 weeks is deeply disturbing. I would happy to see an experienced intelligent moderate nominated...like Merrick Garland, maybe?

I am also a bit concerned with the natterings of "packing the court" as revenge/remedy if this appointment gets rammed through.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am also a bit concerned with the natterings of "packing the court" as revenge/remedy if this appointment gets rammed through.
    I’m not sure what you mean here.

Supreme court appointment is probably my strongest reason for voting for Trump, not that I will necessarily but it’s the leading Theoretical reason for me.

If he pushes thru his candidate In this term then maybe some of his supporters will wipe their hands of him and say OK we are done. Like the evangelicals. When that be interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean here.

Some of the Democrats have offered up the solution of "well, if the GOP rams through this appointment, after Biden wins we'll just add a few more seats to the Supreme Court and fix it that way..."

FDR threatened this once.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...t-packing-plan

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Some of the Democrats have offered up the solution of "well, if the GOP rams through this appointment, after Biden wins we'll just add a few more seats to the Supreme Court and fix it that way..."

FDR threatened this once.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...t-packing-plan
    Oh right! I’m glad you brought this up because I heard mention of it on the radio today and then forgot about it. I was gonna look it up to see what the heck that’s about. So more can be added to the supreme court, well now that’s an interesting situation.

I think The Heritage Foundation/Trump is going to nominate an anti-choice zealot to overturn Roe V Wade. Is that what you want? At least some are expecting Trump's court to have another go at same-sex marriage. And DACA will probably be overturned. I shudder to think.

If I were Queen, I'd only choose irreligious candidates; I think we need a wider separation of church and state than we have now.

Thread Information