Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Political and/or Religious Differences... or Ignorance and Disinformation?

Geila

Political and/or Religious Differences... or Ignorance and Disinformation?

Recently a couple of family members I'm very close to have been urging me to take action to oppose some things that just make no sense to me. I've debated about voicing my concerns, but I thought I'd invite a discussion here to help me see different points of view.
    Last edited by Geila; 10-9-20 at 12:00pm.

I suspect if you dig deeply, you'll see Q Anon is lurking in the murk behind the outrage over these.

At your mention of the film “Cuties “I tuned into it. I’m about 10 minutes into it and I do like it so I’ll watch it to the end.

Like all films about precocious preteens, it shows a lot of leg and hair tossing. There’s nothing new in that. The different thing is the cultural setting as you point out.

It’s always odd what the outrage crowd hangs onto.

Remember Jeanne Cumming’s book “ American dirt” last winter? That was another outrage, I guess from the other political side of the spectrum, but I’m not sure. I just shake my head because I can’t figure out what causes this stuff.

I suspect if you dig deeply, you'll see Q Anon is lurking in the murk behind the outrage over these.
    yep because the most important issue we need to be concerned about is pedophilia and all those secret pedophile rings that Trump is opposing.

It's probably Q which is not even a values difference in any real sense. It's not even a political difference in any traditional sense. It's about an alternate reality of people believing ridiculous conspiracy theories and trying to get Trump, who obviously hasn't been a good president in many real world ways, reelected on the basis of complete fiction made out of whole cloth, abandoning the realm of shared reality entirely in their quest for this.

The pandemic hasn't been good for many people's mental health, but some people like the Q believers, have used quarantine as an opportunity to completely lose their minds entirely.
    Trees don't grow on money

I watched the movie tonight and I thought it was excellent. I guess if 11 year old girls float your boat then this movie would probably excite you, but I don't think that was the intent.
    Geila, I thought the same as you did.

I have a few more thoughts about this film “cuties “after I finished it last night. I enjoyed it. I like films for adult audiences about children and their life experiences.

My primary thought about this film is that the haters are the ones promoting it beyond all reason through their controversy. Under normal circumstances an indie French film, dubbed in English, would fade into an obscure corner of filmdom. So sure, maybe they can slap Netflix around for promoting it on their website, I know there were hundreds of indie films on Netflix and similar services that don’t get the buzz this one is getting.

In order to get some perspective I perused Reddit, ha ha, so many Reddit threads about this film. I picked one at random. On that thread were many comments that revealed people don’t seem to know this style of dancing has been out there in the world of children for a while now. If they think 11-year-olds are bad, what about these 8-year-olds:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DtUcPTQEc
    this dance performance, other performances by the same troop, and performances by this Los Angeles dance studio gets millions of hits on Youtube. I would wager that they will be watched more than this French film.

I certainly think it’s unfortunate that Beyoncé and the whole Hollywood Gestalt is so trashy. Kids will emulate what is the most popular thing of the moment, and so of course they’re going to play mini Beyoncés. Hollywood has always been producers of trash, nothing Here is new. They set the standard for it. One of the more interesting things to me about this film is that this American aesthetic is so strong that it leaks into immigrant child culture in France.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-19-20 at 6:11pm.

Gella, may I suggest that those who feel one way or the other about such movies, deal with their response.
    Personally, if I can make a difference and am prepared to deal with all the flack, I might make an observation asking why such movies are made. So much comment on social media is not to share/inform with others but to hear themselves speak without interruption so making any comment will accomplish very little. YMMV.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Geila, is this one family member or a couple of family members? Are they asking you to advocate for something you disagree with (I don't understand what you are saying in this latest post, but I am not a resident in your state and do not follow your legislation.)

Would you be comfortable telling her or them that you are uncomfortable with them asking for you to advocate on either of these issues? That you already advocate for issues you care about?

I am not quite understanding what you are asking with respect to this or these family members.
    Last edited by Tybee; 9-19-20 at 6:22pm. Reason: clarity

QAnon is inextricably wound up with Russian troll farms and disinformation mills; they're also on domestic terror watch lists, if I'm not mistaken. The pedophilia panic du jour is one of their concoctions. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...eories-n966091

I find the whole pageant/dressing children up like hookers/twerking toddlers thing repellent, so I won't be watching Cuties, but nothing I've heard about it makes it sound like something that needs to be censored.

Fortunately--as I've mentioned before--I have a small social circle of people who don't fall for QAnon fables or peddle racist nonsense, so I'm not called on to protest much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Geila, is this one family member or a couple of family members? Are they asking you to advocate for something you disagree with (I don't understand what you are saying in this latest post, but I am not a resident in your state and do not follow your legislation.)

Would you be comfortable telling her or them that you are uncomfortable with them asking for you to advocate on either of these issues? That you already advocate for issues you care about?

I am not quite understanding what you are asking with respect to this or these family members.
    I think there are a couple ways to answer this, but granted it’s not easy. It ain’t easy! You ( the generic you) can answer in the general or the specific.

As you point out, an answer in the general along the lines of “I often do take action on causes I care about” and leave it at that.

Or, the OP Could say about the California legislation her very specific concern which is “I worry about 18-year-olds who end up on a lifetime sexual predator list because they made out in a car with their slightly younger girlfriend. That seems like an excessive penalty to me. So no, I will not oppose this particular set of legislative changes.“

I fully expect to get lobbied heavily to vote for Trump by a couple of people in early November. I will nod and acknowledge our conversation In a noncommittal way and go off to the voting booth to do what I want to do.

I don’t subscribe to the new paradigm that silence is complicity. If I’m silent on something it’s because I want to be. So if someone forces me to talk with them I will give a non-committal answer generally, although if the topic is
    something I actually know about and have thought about, I will probably respond with my point of view very briefly.

Thread Information