Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: RBG dead at 87

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Weird how we've managed to vote exclusively by mail in Washington State for all these years without some sort of disaster...
    The systems have to be in place for vote by mail.

My state doesn’t have much of a system in place for it. It will have trouble handling all the absentee ballots from special Covid provisions That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t ever vote by mail, it means that we have to slowly and carefully put into place accurate systems that support by mail activity. I can assure you that the city of St. Louis doesn’t have that.

One personal instance of malfeasance in is this: DH went to his polling place at 6 AM in the morning as required By his job as election judge. All of the paper ballots had been stolen.

Of course it has nothing to do with mail in ballots, but an instance where things just go bad from the very beginning to the very end of the process. Running a democracy and having each eligible voter vote once and only once person yet allowing everyone who is eligible to vote, is a messy process.

I see some Democrats are now floating an idea I remember reading about many years ago in the conservative press: term limits for the SCOTUS. I think thatís a much better plan than ridiculous court-packing schemes. It would also cut down on melodrama like dying justices clinging to office hoping for a more congenial President. And the people who view the court as a legislative body in judicial drag might be less exercised over every new appointment if the courtís composition reflected election results, even if on a lagging basis.

Federal Reserve Governors serve 14 years with a new appointment (baring deaths or resignations) every other year. You seldom see much by way of hysteria over them.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see some Democrats are now floating an idea I remember reading about many years ago in the conservative press: term limits for the SCOTUS. I think that’s a much better plan than ridiculous court-packing schemes. It would also cut down on melodrama like dying justices clinging to office hoping for a more congenial President. And the people who view the court as a legislative body in judicial drag might be less exercised over every new appointment if the court’s composition reflected election results, even if on a lagging basis.

Federal Reserve Governors serve 14 years with a new appointment (baring deaths or resignations) every other year. You seldom see much by way of hysteria over them.
    I agree. A term for life is excessive.

One reason I did not like Bullock when I heard him was he advocated court packing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh I think it is unlikely it is a plot by anti-Trump peeps. But Iím surprised you donít think it is a plot, by the Russians or Trumpian counter-espionage or whatever.
    I wouldn't put suspicion of some kind of plot out there if there weren't evidence. The CIA, FBI, and DHS have all gone on record to say the Russians are interfering in our election. Trump and his henchmen do a lot of their evil deeds right out in the open. Witness DeJoy and his tampering with the USPS and recently, Trump admitting that he wouldn't go quietly if the election didn't fall his way.

Thread Information