Thread: "Cuties"

Geila

"Cuties"

*Spoiler Alert* Discussion of the movie "Cuties"

For me one of the saddest parts was Amy under the bed listening to her mother make phone calls announcing the upcoming wedding of her husband to his second wife. Broke my heart for both of them but especially for the mother. And the way the filming was done was very poignant. Can you imagine knowing that this is the kind of life your are destined for as an 11-yr old?

IL - The blood on the blue dress I think was meant as a premonition of things to come. First there was the menstrual blood and then later the rising of the bosom; impending womanhood and all that it represents for her. I don't remember there being blood on the dancing outfit but I will probably watch it again and see if I catch it this time.

I loved the moments when the girls were able to just let themselves go and shriek with laughter. With their status in life, one can imagine that these moments are rare. And the condom scene was both hilarious and sad at the same time!

It's fascinating to see how the Muslim women endorse and enforce a system that for me is horrifying.

At least they were not holding her down to cut her clitoris. ( edited for “not”)

I agree that it was poignant with her mither announcing her father’s marriage to another woman. That was interesting how she was putting on a brave face and announcing it happily but she was secretly heartbroken.

OK help me understand – was it her father who had the phone she stole? Who was that guy, her dad?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-20-20 at 10:03pm.

Geila
    Iris - did you have too much wine!

I've been thinking how there was no uproar at all about "Little Miss Sunshine" even though there are some similarities. In LMS, the child is 10 and performs a striptease to "Superfreak".

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Iris - did you have too much wine!

I've been thinking how there was no uproar at all about "Little Miss Sunshine" even though there are some similarities. In LMS, the child is 10 and performs a striptease to "Superfreak".
    I meant to say they were not holding her down…at least that muslim ritual wasnt carried out in the film, but that would’ve been too heavy for this film and a distraction from the storyline. I guess I should edit that.

Little Miss sunshine was about the same topic but about a little girl who performed the sexual dance poorly and was pretty silly doing it.

The preteens in Cuties took their suggestive dancing seriously and they were good at it.

The topic itself is important. But some commentary against the film asks if the director could have conveyed the same message with much less specific close-ups of girl’s crotches and hard-core moves. I think those questions have some merit.The same questioners have concerns about the little girl actresses and the effect of this training and dancing on them. Apparently there was a child psychologist on set for this concern.

Thread Information