Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Now that your ballot is cast...

Unbelievably, the supreme court TODAY said WI has to have all ballots in by 8pm on election day, whereas, they allowed PA to have date postmarked Nov 3 and (I believe) 6 days to have them tallied (shouldn't this set a precedent?). In the Green Bay area, 13,500 ballots were printed incorrectly and the timeframe to correct will take longer than possible. People In WI are told to go vote in person because, most likely, there is not enough time to have mail delivered in time. This, along with gerrymandering, is disgusting. I hope people come out in droves and beat the system!!!

BTW.. trump won WI by a mere 22,000 votes in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Unbelievably, the supreme court TODAY said WI has to have all ballots in by 8pm on election day, whereas, they allowed PA to have date postmarked Nov 3 and (I believe) 6 days to have them tallied (shouldn't this set a precedent?).
    Voting rules are set by the individual states so I would think the actions of one state would not set a precedent for others. That's not how things work.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Voting rules are set by the individual states so I would think the actions of one state would not set a precedent for others. That's not how things work.
    It would also be of interest to look at why the Court decided each case, I suspect the fact patterns were a bit different...

That level of investigation may not play well on Outrage Media though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    And yet in the Pennsylvania case 4 justices were willing to weigh in against the Pennsylvania Supreme Court‘s authority in making a decision involving the state’s constitution, not federal law 🤔

Nearly seven weeks after this thread was started election day has finally arrived and I can offer a response to the "Now that your ballot is cast" premise. It was easy peasy, less than 15 minutes between entering the building and leaving and that includes scanning my ballot so that I knew it would be counted. I know that's something all you early voters were worried about.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I wasn't worried, as our ballots are trackable--so even though I left mine in an unlocked mailbox--I was able to check in a few days later and see that it had been received and counted. Everyone should be able to do likewise.

I simply deposited my vote-by-mail ballot in the official ballot box at the senior center here on the island, which is an option provided for those who prefer not to use USPS.

Weirdly, our small little county had more official drop-off boxes than huge counties in Texas. Saved quite a few people the bother of rowing over the open ocean to the county seat.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I simply deposited my vote-by-mail ballot in the official ballot box at the senior center here on the island, which is an option provided for those who prefer not to use USPS.

Weirdly, our small little county had more official drop-off boxes than huge counties in Texas. Saved quite a few people the bother of rowing over the open ocean to the county seat.
    Yeah--that would have been a bridge too far for me. Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

The Republican governor is doing all he can to make it difficult for people to vote. Hope that is remembered by his constituents!

To me, it was encouraging to hear how the voting went, and to sample the emotions... which can run deep when people cast their ballots. So I thank all who contributed to this thread.

I was just a kid when I read The Loyalty of Free Men, by Alan Barth. And incidentally I found the book on my father's bookshelf. Dad "liked Ike". I feel a stirring to find a copy of the book and read it again, with men, women and gender-fluid persons in mind..

Thread Information