Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invasion of the produce.

Invasion of the produce.

Oh I know, I write endlessly about this. You would think I could solve this problem. But I can’t.

This morning this kitchen counter was pretty empty. It had maybe four tomatoes on it and two acorn squash. Now it looks like this.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ceNXTSG

Now a new development in my life. We now own a farm in Iowa. And that farm, being in Iowa, has much better soil and cooler weather. Look at the difference of these veggies! Small ones raised in Missouri. Giant ones raised in northern Iowa.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QeXnBly

This is so great because we need more vegetable bulk here. /sarcasm.

So today I asked DH, can we take the beets that are sitting out in the ground to the food bank? I refuse to eat them because they taste like crap. I wasn’t really going to take them to the food bank because they are bad products, but I wanted to see what he would say.

He said that no we cannot take those to the food bank because they are crappy vegetables. Well at least he recognizes that. Apparently they should’ve been consumed in the spring. So, I wasted two hours earlier in the week to fuss with a whole pot full of beets

The cabbage we grew here is bad, too—sour.

Looking at the items on the counter, I welcome these:

All tomatoes

All green peppers

Most of the butternut squash, I guess. I don’t know because I haven’t faced into preparing it since I prepared a large batch two weeks ago.

All of the acorn squash that went down to the basement it’s not some thing I specially like it I don’t know how good it is. See that’s one of the problems that everything that comes out of the garden is tasty in fact a high percentage of it is not.

I will make stuffed peppers and freeze them so those are worthwhile things.

Is this a vent or was there a particular goal in mind for this thread? Inquiring minds would like to know in order to respond appropriately.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The purpose of this thread is entertainment) I am laughing a lot! Thankfully my husband is too lazy to grow massive quantities of anything. I also don’t lift a finger to help so any big ideas never come to fruition.

Razz, it is a vent for your entertainment.

There is no fixing it.

My own vent is that my husband won’t let me cut down our 3 fruit trees. I let 3 groups come and take fruit and it’s still dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Looking at the items on the counter, I welcome these:

All tomatoes

All green peppers

Most of the butternut squash, I guess. I don’t know because I haven’t faced into preparing it since I prepared a large batch two weeks ago.

All of the acorn squash that went down to the basement it’s not some thing I specially like it I don’t know how good it is. See that’s one of the problems that everything that comes out of the garden is tasty in fact a high percentage of it is not.

I will make stuffed peppers and freeze them so those are worthwhile things.
    Just found a book that is great called.... Preserving the Bounty by Rodale Press. See if your library has it. It may give you some options???

I love this thread

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just found a book that is great called.... Preserving the Bounty by Rodale Press. See if your library has it. It may give you some options???
    Fire would be Iris’ better option for getting rid of this stuff!

Thread Information