Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Invasion of the produce.

  1. #11
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    11,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My own vent is that my husband wonít let me cut down our 3 fruit trees. I let 3 groups come and take fruit and itís still dropping.
    Oh, no! Not another tree-liminator! How could you possibly want to cut down 3 fruit trees? We have a pear tree that was planted only a foot or so from the front of our house, and DH keeps pushing me to cut it down. So I had someone impartial come and weigh in and she said that because it is a young tree, we can transplant it over near our two other pear trees, which is smarter anyway because it needs cross-pollination.

    I'm not cutting down that tree!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  2. #12
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,114
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Oh, no! Not another tree-liminator! How could you possibly want to cut down 3 fruit trees? We have a pear tree that was planted only a foot or so from the front of our house, and DH keeps pushing me to cut it down. So I had someone impartial come and weigh in and she said that because it is a young tree, we can transplant it over near our two other pear trees, which is smarter anyway because it needs cross-pollination.

    I'm not cutting down that tree!
    Fruit trees are messy. Fortunately, I can ignore fruit on the ground because it’s in a whole different area of my yard and I don’t have to address it.

    DH has put up quite an orchard in Hermann, about 20 trees, but it’s far enough away from Iris beds that I doubt I will have to deal with those things.

  3. #13
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,114
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Oh, no! Not another tree-liminator! How could you possibly want to cut down 3 fruit trees? We have a pear tree that was planted only a foot or so from the front of our house, and DH keeps pushing me to cut it down. So I had someone impartial come and weigh in and she said that because it is a young tree, we can transplant it over near our two other pear trees, which is smarter anyway because it needs cross-pollination.

    I'm not cutting down that tree!
    I wish for people like you a grove of mulberry trees leading up to the front door. Let the Mulberry God bless you so that your floors will be splotched and stained with purple.!

    You owe us a report on the wedding.

  4. #14
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    6,159
    I am so happy to live off the kindness of the people in my neighborhood who grow gardens full of vegetables and favor me with (some of) the excess! I have a friend who rents farmland and reserves the ability to glean; he sometimes invites me to stock up on the imperfect stuff. I take what I can use and no more. All of these growers would be very happy for me to take more, but I know my limits (and the time it takes to process it all). I'm happy to accept extras and return the favor in the form of pickles or hot dishes or baked goods. I'm not sure what I'd do with a dozen acorn squash. This is as close as I need to get to an oversupply of vegetables.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  5. #15
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wish for people like you a grove of mulberry trees leading up to the front door. Let the Mulberry God bless you so that your floors will be splotched and stained with purple.!

    You owe us a report on the wedding.
    Agreed on the wedding report!

  6. #16
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    10,081
    The apples aren’t edible. I am guessing they are crab apples. The other 2 are pears and apricots. I have to pick them up about 4 times a day so they don’t ruin our expensive Astro turf. Within a week the garbage bag is too heavy for me to lift so my husband throws it away. I worry about the pears hitting my little dogs in the head when they fall. I love trees but not messy fruit ones.

  7. #17
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,517
    IL, shame on you! Wishing mulberry bushes and the mess from them in an entrance on Catherine is vicious and uncalled for. There are limits on cruelty, you know. This judgement is based on seeing what mulberry bushes are capable of with birds to help them.

    Wedding update is definitely needed.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,343
    LOL - yes, a very entertaining thread.

    Agree about the wedding update!!!! Hope plans are progressing well!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  9. #19
    Senior Member KayLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SW Washington State
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wish for people like you a grove of mulberry trees leading up to the front door. Let the Mulberry God bless you so that your floors will be splotched and stained with purple.!

    You owe us a report on the wedding.
    And don't forget that starlings (any birds) love mulberries and decorate your cars to show it!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

  10. #20
    Senior Member beckyliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    654
    A co-worker posted on FB about her zucchini (of course) crop. I told her I'd take one and only one.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •