Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Invasion of the produce.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    A co-worker posted on FB about her zucchini (of course) crop. I told her I'd take one and only one.
    When we were seeing people we would take armloads of vegetables to neighborhood gatherings. I always like to say here’s a couple ……… but you have to take some zucchini with it.

We have never given away many tomatoes even though we have lots of them because we do end up using them throughout the year.

I will say this – our onion crop was good this year. And last year. And the year before. It took DH several years to figure out what kind he grows well here, but now we have big onions that last until January. I eat a lot of onions!

Found out from my best friend’s mom that all the pears we gave her had worms. She assumed my husband had treated the trees like she told him how to a few years ago). I feel bad that I gave them to 2 groups to give to shelters. I had another talk with my husband about cutting down the pear tree and he wouldn’t budge. So I am on strike. I have been picking up fruit daily for 8 years except for winter. I am done. Maybe he will be singing a different tune when our backyard is covered in rotten fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Found out from my best friend’s mom that all the pears we gave her had worms. She assumed my husband had treated the trees like she told him how to a few years ago). I feel bad that I gave them to 2 groups to give to shelters. I had another talk with my husband about cutting down the pear tree and he wouldn’t budge. So I am on strike. I have been picking up fruit daily for 8 years except for winter. I am done. Maybe he will be singing a different tune when our backyard is covered in rotten fruit.
    How wormy? People can’t expect garden produce to be the perfection that is what they get a grocery stores. We’re they wormy to the point of being inedible? Or they wormy only to the point that yeah you have to cut out worm holes and the occasional worm?

The generic American will tell you that they do not like using “harsh chemicals “and yet they want perfect produce. I shake my head, farmer that I am.

Our friend had a bumper crop of pears a couple of years ago and she had gallons and gallons and gallons of perfectly formed sweet edible pears. It was amazing. But that was the crop she got that year. Her later crops were not anything like that.

My friend’s mom grew up on a farm and couldn’t use the pears so assuming very bad.

My friend with the hobby farm met us for a socially-distanced get-together and brought a small box of produce -- gleanings from his property. Whenever he does that, I am amazed at the quality of the food that his tenant farmers choose to not bring to farmer's markets. Instagram-worthy? Hardly any of it. Tasty and fresh? Oh, yes.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    I'd be happy to take some of those tomatoes and peppers of your hands!

We always pick apples from abandoned trees, and this year, they have been particularly wormy and small. It was a very bad year for apples. We're still cutting around the yuck and using them for applesauce and pies. But it was hard to find any big enough to use.
    We had a late snow that wiped out a lot of apples this year.

For the first time in my life, last week I picked an apple from a tree . It was growing next to an old farm road in western Colorado. As we traveled about, we say many apple trees loaded with fruit. I am still amazed at how wonderful that apple tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    For the first time in my life, last week I picked an apple from a tree . It was growing next to an old farm road in western Colorado. As we traveled about, we say many apple trees loaded with fruit. I am still amazed at how wonderful that apple tasted.
    It was possibly an old variety of apple no longer available. So many commercially produced apples have lost their unique taste in breeding efforts to increase storage life.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don’t know what type of apples we have but they are small, green and nasty. Maybe crab apples?

Thread Information