Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From the Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Agreed. Democracies are notoriously susceptible to horrendous majority decisions. Republics are supposed to protect us from that. At least in theory.

What's so much better about being subjected to horrendous minority decisions? It seems significantly worse.
    Trees don't grow on money

Trump is trying to figure out how to steal the election which is really no surprise given his past. I hope I live long enough to see the popular vote decide the presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Why?

I often think that people whose ego demands a direct voice to the Federal government without the burden of state and local middle-men (Representatives) were the basis of Benjamin Franklin's retort when asked what type of government they'd created. He said "A Republic, if we can keep it."
    https://archive3.fairvote.org/reform...toral-college/

For 225 years or so we have followed the plan of electing our representatives to decide for us. If we want to change that to a direct democracy, we could give it a whirl.

We do need to remind ourselves though that our republic and our electoral college is our historical and current system. Both Bush #2 and Trump won the electoral college. It might frustrate us to know they both lost the popular vote, but they did win the elections in our current system.

I did not support either one. I was mad they won. But our system was followed ... we shouldn’t act like it wasn’t followed, as we are not set up to be a direct democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I was curious about what you thought about electoral college vs popular vote, but not enough to follow a series of random links.

Rather than post "Obviously it is time for change" followed by a link to someone else's thoughts I'd like to hear why you think it's so obvious.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I would imagine a “bird lives matter” t-shirt would not meet universal approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I was curious about what you thought about electoral college vs popular vote, but not enough to follow a series of random links.

Rather than post "Obviously it is time for change" followed by a link to someone else's thoughts I'd like to hear why you think it's so obvious.
    I am not going to repeat the LIST of reasons. The are there in black and white,

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I would imagine a “bird lives matter” t-shirt would not meet universal approval.
    It does with me!

They are a harbinger.

Thread Information