Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

Glad you like the people!

So far so good! I appreciate the update.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I wish we could be paperless! Certain things with procedures make this a challenge. I print the bare minimum for each file. Everything is in the system against each file, but that’s the only good thing. Everything goes get scanned into the system when we’re done with a file on the customs end as packet in a particular order. The import people upload all the docs as they get them from overseas and the carrier. I need to sit down and think of how things could be improved before I bring anything up.

Being paperless was a huge plus at the work from home job.

Thanks again, everyone. So far, so good.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I wish current company would go paperless, but I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon. They’d have to apply for permission from Customs to keep all records electronically. The work from home job showed me how a paperless workplace could function. But current company also has lots of processes in place that are dependent on paper. Even when people were working from home during lockdown last year, people were having to print stuff out. They’d also have to upgrade Adobe to the full licenses to be able to be able to combine separate PDF documents. That’s expensive, even if they went with a different software that did the same thing that was less expensive than Adobe. Things would have to be totally revamped to go paperless. So I’ve quit worrying about it snd just print the minimum needed for my files.

It is helpful that you have experienced both approaches, seeing the pros and cons of each. That is seeing as management would view it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tradd: I suspect the time will come when your current employer does want to go paperless; they just aren't there yet. I would just make sure they know that you understand and can function well with a paperless system, so they know in the back of their minds that you are a potential SME. When/if the time comes for them to make that transition, you will be worth your weight in gold to them.

SME? I’ve never heard that before.

SME - subject matter expert. I've often been involved in software teams that partnered with an SME, so that the application we create is actually useful to the audience, as opposed to software engineers guessing what features the target audience would want.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    SME - subject matter expert. I've often been involved in software teams that partnered with an SME, so that the application we create is actually useful to the audience, as opposed to software engineers guessing what features the target audience would want.
    The things one learns on this site! SME added to the list.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information