Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

I don't think most of the time it's a unions role to deal with individual level grievances so much as collective (bargaining) issues. And that's an important rule, I'm pro-union, don't work the type of jobs that have them. But I'm not sure this would necessary be their wheelhouse and if one switches schools are they covered by that union?
    Trees don't grow on money

I would join the union.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't think most of the time it's a unions role to deal with individual level grievances so much as collective (bargaining) issues. And that's an important rule, I'm pro-union, don't work the type of jobs that have them. But I'm not sure this would necessary be their wheelhouse and if one switches schools are they covered by that union?
    Friends who work in union jobs tell me the union is definitely for this sort of thing. You were told you would be moved to a different position and weren't. I'm surprised you didn't join the union.

I'm surprised you didn't join the union.
    me or happystuff? I don't even work the type of jobs that have unions. Happystuff, if they think the union will help, then yes they probably should. This was just my impression talking to people in union jobs, that some individual grievances weren't addressed.
    Trees don't grow on money

Our union negotiated individual grievances on a regular basis, usually in favor of its members.

me or happystuff? I don't even work the type of jobs that have unions. Happystuff, if they think the union will help, then yes they probably should. This was just my impression talking to people in union jobs, that some individual grievances weren't addressed.
    Happy.

Thanks again, everyone. Even though I am not a union member, one of the other guys told me he wasn't sure if the union would handle something like this or not. Again, not sure what I want to do it at this point. As I said before, I need to get passed the anger first. Also, this is not a "career" for me. I need to work - anywhere - for the next three years and that should be it. And with my current custodial experience, I don't think it would be hard getting a similar job, as I have already checked some of the other schools in the area and they are needing custodians. Plus, I would like to see what - if anything - happens next week.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I hope something better comes your way, Happy. Three years isn't a very long time, but it can sure feel like a long time in a job that you don't enjoy.

It is the union’s role to address individual grievances. That is exactly what it does.

Union laws vary from state to state so I can only tell you what the deal was in my workplace: the union represented everyone, regardless if they actually paid dues to it or not. For instance in my workplace only about 20% of employees belong to the union. But if an employee had a Grievance, they had the right to have a union member with them when they met with administration about their grieved issue.

At my workplace this would not be a grievable offense as employees were moved from location to location sometimes, not always entirely their choice. Which doesn’t mean that it’s not annoying and etc.,but that all varies by workplace.

Happy stuff, it is so difficult to get good employees everywhere so you should probably start looking for a different job. Your chance of success is good.

At least talk to a union representative.
    Then you know more about your options.

Thread Information