Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

And the reality that I'm working in a warehouse was bought home on Friday. No advanced notice for preparations - we have mandatory 8 hours OT for the next two weeks. It's taken me about three months to get some Dr appointments scheduled and guess when they fall... as always, i will adjust.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    And the reality that I'm working in a warehouse was bought home on Friday. No advanced notice for preparations - we have mandatory 8 hours OT for the next two weeks. It's taken me about three months to get some Dr appointments scheduled and guess when they fall... as always, i will adjust.
    I'm sorry Happy, that really stinks.

So sorry to hear that!

Happy, sorry to hear about the OT. Other than that, how is the job going?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Happy, sorry to hear about the OT. Other than that, how is the job going?
    Thanks, all.

It's very physical and I admit to still being sore most of the time, but I'm still doing the job to expectations. The physical means that I am losing weight - which I'm happy about. When I'm on mile 8 at night I just think how lucky I am to be getting the workout without paying for a gym membership. Lol. Still trying to get used to and work out my non-work hours, like getting used to making dinner at noon. Lol. In all seriousness, I'm starting to wonder how long I will be able to do it. Time will tell.

Thanks for asking.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Happy, losing weight is a good thing!

I forgot to ask. Is the OT all one day or spread out over a week?

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I worked in warehouses for many years and know exactly what you're talking about. So this is the reality of your situation:

Sometimes people get sick and don't come to work. Other things happen that force people to miss a whole day, or part of a day, or not work mandatory overtime. Every company knows this. But every company will act like you should never miss any hours of work no matter what, not even if your whole world is falling apart. They depend on being able to bully and bluff you into always being at work every scheduled hour, and they will abuse their power as much as you let them.

So go to your supervisor or manager and explain to them what your situation is and that you absolutely have to keep these appointments for medical reasons and that you won't be able to reschedule them. Offer to bring in a receipt from the doctor's office. Offer to work part of the appointment day if that's feasible. Above all be very nice and cooperative but firmly state that you really must have time off for these appointments. In most cases your supervisor will let you take the time off if you approach it that way.

Another tactic, for future reference, is to tell your supervisor about any medical appointment as soon as you schedule it, and remind them of it a few days beforehand so you'll be preloaded if the company calls for mandatory overtime on that day.

The primary fact is: Mandatory is only mandatory if the supervisor doesn't give you permission to miss work, and you'll never get permission if you don't ask and explain convincingly why you need to be off those hours.

Good luck and hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Happy, losing weight is a good thing!

I forgot to ask. Is the OT all one day or spread out over a week?
    There is a set range of hours that the building will be open each week day and on Saturday. This week, I will be doing the OT all in one shot this coming Saturday - blows my weekend, but... hey. (On a side note, they ARE closing the building for MLK day - so I'll still have a 2-day "weekend". LOL) Next week - again, a 4-day week - I'll be doing 2 extra hours a day starting before regular shift.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    I worked in warehouses for many years and know exactly what you're talking about. So this is the reality of your situation:

Sometimes people get sick and don't come to work. Other things happen that force people to miss a whole day, or part of a day, or not work mandatory overtime. Every company knows this. But every company will act like you should never miss any hours of work no matter what, not even if your whole world is falling apart. They depend on being able to bully and bluff you into always being at work every scheduled hour, and they will abuse their power as much as you let them.

So go to your supervisor or manager and explain to them what your situation is and that you absolutely have to keep these appointments for medical reasons and that you won't be able to reschedule them. Offer to bring in a receipt from the doctor's office. Offer to work part of the appointment day if that's feasible. Above all be very nice and cooperative but firmly state that you really must have time off for these appointments. In most cases your supervisor will let you take the time off if you approach it that way.

Another tactic, for future reference, is to tell your supervisor about any medical appointment as soon as you schedule it, and remind them of it a few days beforehand so you'll be preloaded if the company calls for mandatory overtime on that day.

The primary fact is: Mandatory is only mandatory if the supervisor doesn't give you permission to miss work, and you'll never get permission if you don't ask and explain convincingly why you need to be off those hours.

Good luck and hang in there.
    Thanks for the info, George. I did talk to supervisor(s) and it basically came down to "you have a range of hours to choose from". They even tried to tell me to spend today trying to reschedule the Dr appointments. My response was "You don't reschedule an MRI!" to which they had no response. LOL. Again, I am an adult and I do know who I am dealing with and the consequences of the choices I am/will make. This time around I have worked it out. Next time? Again, time will tell. I think the fact that I am older, not easily intimidated, and willing to accept the consequences of my choices/action without arguing with them... I think they are not sure how to handle/deal with a mature, intelligent individual with rational responses to the points they bring up. I'm finding it a bit funny.

Thanks for your input!

That’s a really physical job for your age and now with OT yikes! I bet you are losing weight.

Thread Information