Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Yep. Just took a while!
    FANTASTIC! What a wonderful sense of well-being when you get up in the morning and go to sleep at night

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    FANTASTIC! What a wonderful sense of well-being when you get up in the morning and go to sleep at night
    I don’t know about that. The switch to getting up an hour earlier and getting home an hour later than I used to stop for the day is kicking my butt. The chair is different, too, and it’s doing a number on my sciatica. The sides are more built up on the seat. I was so sore yesterday and with such a headache that I got a McD coffee on the way home. Got into as hot of a bath as I could stand and stayed there for about an hour, adding more hot water as necessary. That really helped. Used a hard massage ball thing on my IT bands last night and I’m feeling much better. They were very tight. I’m doing a lot of stretching during the day.

I can’t tell you how difficult it is for me to work in such a quiet office and not able to have WGN or BBC Radio.

More congrats your way, Tradd. Sounds like you really may have found your place this time around!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I don’t know about that. The switch to getting up an hour earlier and getting home an hour later than I used to stop for the day is kicking my butt. The chair is different, too, and it’s doing a number on my sciatica. The sides are more built up on the seat. I was so sore yesterday and with such a headache that I got a McD coffee on the way home. Got into as hot of a bath as I could stand and stayed there for about an hour, adding more hot water as necessary. That really helped. Used a hard massage ball thing on my IT bands last night and I’m feeling much better. They were very tight. I’m doing a lot of stretching during the day.

I can’t tell you how difficult it is for me to work in such a quiet office and not able to have WGN or BBC Radio.
    Can you tell your boss that you have sciatica and need to have a different chair? If they won't get it for you, would they let you bring your own?

Regarding the ambient noise of the news, can you wear earphones (assuming you're not on the phone a great deal of time)?

As for the longer work/commute day, unfortunately it sounds like that will have to be an adjustment for you but hopefully the longer days coming will help.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes to Catherine’s suggestions especially for the chair.

You have to tread carefully as a new employee to not be seen as demanding, but as a supervisor having had tons of experience with employees and office chairs, I would be open to 1) buying a specific chair for you ‘though that takes time or 2) you bringing your own chair from home. I would see #2 as being a temporary solution.

The headphones thing, given my image of your work situation right now where you are new and are interacting with many people training you, I would say hold off on that request. Further down the road that might be do-able.

Will you eventually be able to work from home?

I know I'm probably an outlier here, but I don't see any reason why most employees should have to show up at an office more than occasionally now.

Headphones are a no go.

I think it’s a matter of getting used to the chair. I brought a tennis ball from home to shove under left thigh as needed. I’ve done that before many times.

I don’t know about working from home eventually. I’d be happy to have to capability for bad snow storms and that sort of thing

IL, there is only ONE person training me. He shows me stuff and gives me files to go back to my desk and work on.

Re sciatic - yesterday I was helping scan docs into the system as they had built up with only one person doing clearances. I was at the copier for over an hour. I grabbed a chair from an unoccupied desk to sit down. No way was I going to stand.

I was doing complicated EPA pesticide clearances today with NO errors. If that’s not proof the previous job’s system was crap, I don’t know what is! I did plenty of those two jobs ago - the one where I got laid off a year ago tomorrow.

The office manager got tired of the silence and put on some 70s/80s Pandora channel.

Things are going good. Got more stuff to do so the day is going by faster.

Thread Information