Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    There is a set range of hours that the building will be open each week day and on Saturday. This week, I will be doing the OT all in one shot this coming Saturday - blows my weekend, but... hey. (On a side note, they ARE closing the building for MLK day - so I'll still have a 2-day "weekend". LOL) Next week - again, a 4-day week - I'll be doing 2 extra hours a day starting before regular shift.
    It seems to me they are playing a game of overtime where they don't have to pay overtime for it. Because if hourly and subject to overtime laws, it usually kicks in at over 40 hours a WEEK, I believe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    It seems to me they are playing a game of overtime where they don't have to pay overtime for it. Because if hourly and subject to overtime laws, it usually kicks in at over 40 hours a WEEK, I believe.
    It may depend on the state... some after 8 hours in a day??

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It may depend on the state... some after 8 hours in a day??
    Yes. In some states such as California it’s any time over 8 hours in a day. Other states have different rules or no rules. If the state doesn’t have overtime rules then they default to federal FLSA (fair labor standards act) rules which is overtime for any hours beyond 40 in any 7 day period.

FLSA has some loopholes, too. When I was working for a county court system, hourly people in corrections had to go over 80 hours in a two-week period to collect overtime (challenged and upheld as legal). This led to much abuse, IMHO, by working staff many hours one week and then cutting them back the next week. There was a draft system, and some people worked 10 hour shifts to begin with, which led to people being at work for 20 hours at a stretch, and not, in some cases, getting any overtime pay. At least they were not permitted to work two straight shifts on a unit, as that was deemed unsafe. Ya think?? And they wondered why morale was low. . .

I remember not getting overtime some days where I worked over 8 hours a day on weeks with paid holidays (say memorial day). Kind of a surprise to me on my paycheck. This was when I got overtime at full time employment, I have worked plenty of salaried jobs where there is no overtime to begin with of course. However, I remember there being some distinction between being categorized as "exempt" or "non-exempt" and whether or not you fall into a category where you are paid overtime or not (hourly or salaried).

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    FLSA has some loopholes, too. When I was working for a county court system, hourly people in corrections had to go over 80 hours in a two-week period to collect overtime (challenged and upheld as legal). This led to much abuse, IMHO, by working staff many hours one week and then cutting them back the next week. There was a draft system, and some people worked 10 hour shifts to begin with, which led to people being at work for 20 hours at a stretch, and not, in some cases, getting any overtime pay. At least they were not permitted to work two straight shifts on a unit, as that was deemed unsafe. Ya think?? And they wondered why morale was low. . .
    There are a few industries/positions that have totally different overtime provisions (CBRFs... etc). It makes no sense to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I remember not getting overtime some days where I worked over 8 hours a day on weeks with paid holidays (say memorial day). Kind of a surprise to me on my paycheck. This was when I got overtime at full time employment, I have worked plenty of salaried jobs where there is no overtime to begin with of course. However, I remember there being some distinction between being categorized as "exempt" or "non-exempt" and whether or not you fall into a category where you are paid overtime or not (hourly or salaried).

FYI.. an exempt or salaried position can be paid hourly.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    FYI.. an exempt or salaried position can be paid hourly.
    yea that's how they explained it, I was hourly exempt or something at that job, I usually got overtime (and had to be on call) and then there were times there I worked new years eve at 3 am solving some problem on call, and then "where is my overtime?!?" because nada, because I got a holiday, so not over 40 a week. Scheduling a bunch of overtime on a holiday week just seems suspicious, but maybe in non-exempt cases they have to pay it.

There's a lot to be said for having a union.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There's a lot to be said for having a union.
    That's for sure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information