Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

Boss apparently seems to feel that situation is correcting/has corrected itself.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sounds like "next step" in your work environment - a positive one, I'm thinking! Good luck and, as razz said, you CAN do this!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Like the others I think this means that boss now trusts you. From what you’ve described he sounds like too much of a control freak to allow you to ‘sink or swim’. And he probably should be because ultimately it’s his company that you are representing.

Years ago I got dinged for two minor violations of my underwriting authority by an internal audit. That resulted in me losing my authority for the better part of a year, meaning that all my accounts had to go to boss for approval before releasing terms. I got through it and regained my authority and life went on. It sounds like you have gotten through your issues as well. Congratulations!

Boss is being a complete and total a-hole today. I now find out I'm supposed to watch a whole bunch of air freight shipments over the weekend. He waits until late on Friday afternoon to tell me this. I was very direct with him. I told him he gave me TWO DAYS notice he was going to be gone for two weeks and working greatly reduced hours. I would have been up in WI this weekend if I hadn't switched it to last weekend. I don't mind following air freight over the weekend - IF I HAVE NOTICE. I got NO notice.

Another problem he is giving me NO information on. There was a combined shipment from one overseas shipper going to two different companies here in the US. There has been much back and forth between boss and the forwarder (who is our customer) about whether it would clear under the two different companies names or if it would be cleared under one company that we already clear for. We have a shared email box with emails for all shipments. Boss took the emails out of that shared folder and moved them into a folder of his I don't have access to (we have access to each other's in boxes to move emails back and forth as a lot of stuff only goes to him). He constantly tells me to do my homework and gather information before going outside the company so we don't look like fools. He is deliberately without holding information from me. He will not share the emails he has. I asked him if he was deliberately trying to make me look like a fool? His response? "You've got audacity. I'll give you that much." I sent an email to the forwarder asking if they'd come to a resolution as I saw a lot of emails exchanged, but no final decision. No response yet.

He told me yesterday he was tired of babysitting a licensed customs broker. Then this happened today about doing all my clearances, sending out billing, etc.

jp, you would think he'd be too much of a control freak to not let me "sink or swim," but given what's gone on today, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    jp, you would think he'd be too much of a control freak to not let me "sink or swim," but given what's gone on today, I doubt it.
    tbh with that additional information it almost looks like he's setting you up to fail and force either termination or your resignation. Hate to say it, but he is being an a-hole.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    He may be pushing you so you'll quit and he doesn't have to pay more in unemployment premiums for getting rid of you. Don't leave until you get something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    He may be pushing you so you'll quit and he doesn't have to pay more in unemployment premiums for getting rid of you. Don't leave until you get something else.
    I’m not planning on leaving until I get something else.

Steve, boss is definitely being a douche bag.

Before you think what his motives might be, you might want to walk in his shoes at this time. You don't know what is happening in his life. When you have challenging situations like this, focus on what you can do, know that you are capable and competent and stick with that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Before you think what his motives might be, you might want to walk in his shoes at this time. You don't know what is happening in his life. When you have challenging situations like this, focus on what you can do, know that you are capable and competent and stick with that.
    Regardless of what is going on with his life, there is zero excuse for no notice on the vacation and me having to watch stuff this weekend. He could have told me Thursday I was going to have to watch the air freight over the weekend, but he chose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Razz, I love you, and your kind, loving spirit, and I think this is really bad advice--I think Tradd's boss is showing who he is, and she should believe him. If you keep making excuses for him, you may miss what is really going on here, Tradd, and I think your instincts are correct, and he well might be setting you up.

Yuck. I would get on those interviews, because I doubt the mask thing will last forever, and vaccinations will change these office protocols. (That's my prediction, anyway.)

Thread Information