Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: New job update

Have already completed my first full month (plus a few days) at the new job. The work during the summer is somewhat different than what will occur during the school year, but I'm learning a lot and getting the hang of things. When a parent of elementary and middle school kids, I only ever thought of "new school year preparations" as something teachers did. I was so wrong! There is SO MUCH that goes into getting an entire school - building, contents, people, etc - ready for the kids to come! It's been an education - pun intended.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happy, glad to hear things are going well!

Good to hear. Wait until you get to know the kids and they figure you out as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks, Tradd and razz.

razz, once school starts, I will be a night custodian. No kids except for some after school activities - if they even have them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

So today was officially the last "summer" workday. I start the 2nd shift hours on Tuesday - the first day of school. It's going to be VERY interesting!

happystuff, so how is it going?

Newish coworker at the office. Gets the idea into her head that she wants to take the customs broker exam and get her license. She’s not a US citizen and has only been in the country for about a year (from India). She didn’t like it much when I told her you have to be a US citizen to even take the exam. I even showed her where it says that in the Customs regulations. She damn near threw a temper tantrum. Princess at the old job was the same way.

What is it with these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    happystuff, so how is it going?
    It's been *interesting*. The other night custodian - long timer, experienced, called out for a "back injury" after the 2nd day of school. (I'm not saying either way, but the other long-time folks say this is a pattern). That means I have been on my own since then, including locking up the school at night alone. There have been one or two incidents - someone tried to break into the school one night AFTER I had set the alarm and left, and then there was some removable hate/racist things written on my car another night (ended up being unidentifiable kids apparently just "messing around".) As a newbie, both were a little nerve-wrecking, but things seemed to have settled down. The people are nice, the work is manageable, the hours... still don't like them - LOL. Today is the start of week 4, so we'll see what a new week brings. LOL.

Thanks for asking, Tradd. I hope you don't have to have too many interactions with your new coworker.

The last thing you want to have happen is to be stuck with an off-the-shelf software application that doesn't function correctly or at all. Poorly designed custom software development can lead to a lot of wasted time and money, not to mention the problems it will create for your business with https://mlsdev.com. Some users might assume that they are purchasing ready-to-use software applications when in reality these are simply re-directories containing a multitude of damaged files that could potentially cause more harm than good. These potential issues include data loss, system failure, software glitches, performance issues, and many other errors. By using off-the-shelf applications you could end up spending more money because you will be purchasing new equipment and wasting time and resources on repairs.
    Last edited by linacapeola; 9-30-21 at 3:31am.

Ransomeware attack at work. Shipping/customs clearance software down. We have email and internet at least. Had to contact Customs to tell them we are unable to authorize duty payments. There is a daily statement. Duties have to be authorized for payment within 2 business days. Otherwise, they’re late and you’ll get a fine. We may be back up Friday. Hopefully if we’re unable to pay today’s by Friday, Customs will work with us rather than issuing fines. I’m sure this has happened with other brokers and they have policies in place. We were proactive and notified them as soon as we found out this morning.

Thread Information