Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: New job update

So glad for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've hesitated posting this but it *seems* to actually be happening this time (fingers-crossed). It appears they finally hired a new custodian and she will be taking my current place so that I can move to the other school starting tomorrow!
    Yay! Fingers crossed.

Small drama warning... LOL.

I DID start at the elementary school yesterday. As I was getting out of my car, the supervisor was getting in his, but stopped and walked into the building with me. During that walk, he informed me that the new hire (person taking my place at the middle school), had texted (or emailed?) him that morning and QUIT! Didn't even show up for a 1st day!!!! I think he knew better than to pull me from the ES a third time, so it is now the middle school that will be short-handed.

ES is a totally different cleaning experience - lol. They do several things way different and I feel like I'm learning some things from scratch. Also have some middle school habits to break - lol. All-in-all, I'm hoping this is the change that will make this job bearable for another 2-3 years.

Anyway, thank you all for the encouragement and support! I really do appreciate it!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’m sure you’re aware that employers are begging for employees. They are crawling on the ground for them.

I don’t know why you have to put up with a job that’s only bearable for three years.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t know why you have to put up with a job that’s only bearable for three years.
    I have come to the conclusion it is because ageism is alive and well in the American workforce. When I was actively looking, I applied for jobs that the only requirement was a high school diploma and no experience necessary (basic receptionist jobs). Tracking those job postings, I would see them listed long after I was turned down. While birth dates are no longer required for most application or need to be included on resumes, it's pretty easy to figure out how old someone is from the dates on military service, educational information, and even previous job info.
    Last edited by happystuff; 6-2-22 at 1:25pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Happy stuff, I hope you enjoy the elementary experience. Do you have to mow? clear snow? The bathrooms probably aren't as bad....Good luck. The kids are more fun.

Thanks, nswef. In the middle school, yes, I had to mow and clear snow. I've been told no mowing at the es, but we'll see. And probably yes to clearing snow. As for the bathrooms, not as much graffiti, but still little kids and bathrooms. ROFLOL.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I have come to the conclusion it is because ageism is alive and well in the American workforce. When I was actively looking, I applied for jobs that the only requirement was a high school diploma and no experience necessary (basic receptionist jobs). Tracking those job postings, I would see them listed long after I was turned down. While birth dates are no longer required for most application or need to be included on resumes, it's pretty easy to figure out how old someone is from the dates on military service, educational information, and even previous job info.
    I think you are right about this. I have a friend whose job was eliminated (an entire division was shut down, so nothing to do with her personally), and she searched diligently for a job for over 2 years before she finally found one. She was in her early sixties, and she had impeccable references, experience, strong skillset, etc. She was very methodical, conscientious and strategic about her job search too.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I think you are right about this. I have a friend whose job was eliminated (an entire division was shut down, so nothing to do with her personally), and she searched diligently for a job for over 2 years before she finally found one. She was in her early sixties, and she had impeccable references, experience, strong skillset, etc. She was very methodical, conscientious and strategic about her job search too.
    Which is so odd, because older works like us tend to stay longer and put up with way more sh$t than younger workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Which is so odd, because older works like us tend to stay longer and put up with way more sh$t than younger workers.
    I've definitely seen this!

Thread Information