Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: New job update

Tradd, I know that you can do this and do it well!! I was not criticizing you but being an objective voice. I am a booster for your efforts.

I understand from your posts that customs is small industry in numbers but with a big role!

You have mentioned that his is a small business that has grown very well. He did his research and hired you (!!!!) with your extensive knowledge and experience knowing that he was trusting his reputation, his business and his livelihood for his family on this decision.

A big no-no as you called it triggered a strong understandable response from him. It is now water under the bridge, can't be undone. You did well to acknowledge it. It is a learning opportunity for both. Build on that! You are part of a team.

What can you do to increase your knowledge and understanding of the business? If you were running your own business in this field, what could you learn to do it better? I frankly know little of the customs industry so can offer no suggestions. Find additional ways of supporting his business by walking in his shoes. He needs your services and was transparent about this. With Covid and working from home, can you find a challenge this winter in the industry that you can explore further? Spend the money to do so if necessary.

You said at the outset that you were looking for new experiences and opportunities for growth in your field. You go girl!!!!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I’ve been doing a lot of industry reading and research in the past week or so. The workload has slowed down a bit with the holidays so there is a bit of time to allow for that. Just yesterday I handled a shipment on something he didn’t do much of, yet I used to do a lot of.
    Last edited by Tradd; 12-30-20 at 9:23pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The other thing I would mention is that you have a good reputation in your industry. If he overreacts to errors (everyone makes them, don’t beat yourself up, just focus on improving) to the point that you get let go people won’t necessarily blame you. If the worst case happens and you get fired be brave and tell people the truth of what happened. People who have known your work for years will believe you. He’s just another individual guy. His opinion of your work doesn’t have to have any more weight than your opinion of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Thank you. I needed to hear that. I am going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Yppej, I have looked online, but nothing right now. Likely due to the holidays.
    Tradd, I doubt it will come to this because you're taking the right steps to set things on a good course, but this article just showed up in my pocket feed. Hopefully you won't need it, but just in case, here it is:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/i...=pocket-newtab

jp, thanks for the link.

Yppej
    In my state if you have been at a job 13 or more weeks and are doing your best and they fire you for making mistakes then you can still collect unemployment because they were at fault for hiring you without properly assessing your abilities.

Good news!

Signed onto work computer to do some work and found a message from boss. Said my error rate for last week was a VAST improvement and to keep it up.

That’s great Tradd!

Good!!!!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Maybe he's learning how to be a manager. Hard if he's only worked for himself for years. Let him know how much you appreciate his praise...they need to hear that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Maybe he's learning how to be a manager. Hard if he's only worked for himself for years. Let him know how much you appreciate his praise...they need to hear that, too.
    Good insight.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information