Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Again?

Geila

Again?

I have a bad habit of looking at dog shelters and rescues online. After my experience with my dog Lucy, I said I would not take in anymore dogs for a while. And that I would stop looking at dogs.

But now that some time has passed, I don't regret getting her at all, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Enter Princess, an 8-yr. old German Shepard who is at risk for euthanasia at my local shelter. Based on experience, I would just go ahead and adopt her if she gets along with my other pets. Dh is not enthused about it but agreed to it if I want to adopt her.
    I
    Last edited by Geila; 10-9-20 at 11:58am.

Gella, you are trying to make so many decisions in your life right now based on the number of your posts. Sometimes, you need to make a list and create priorities that you and your DH agree on. Only you and your DH know which comes first physically, financially, emotionally and rationally over the next few years.
    Beyond that observation, I will remain quiet.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don’t know how bad the hip dysplasia is with this dog. I know that it’s common with that breed.

I just don’t know much about adoptions in that breed, but she is at a vulnerable age for euthanasia. What’s the normal lifespan for shepherd sweat 12 years at the high end?

Hmmm.... bad hip and severely worn teeth... may be older than stated, and probably meanS lots of vet bills and/or short life span... That said, she looks like a sweetheart.

She looks adorable. But I too would be concerned about the medical issues. Especially if your house has stairs.

Noki lived to 13. We took a dog that ended up only living 6 months and it was the best of his life. Noki did have hip issues and at 9 was on pain medication once daily for 4 years. He actually was the best dog I ever had. He saved me from a big dog attack. He was also good with my little ones. They were his boss.

"When you buy a pet, you buy a tragedy."--George Carlin
    And that's true even when they're healthy to start with. Just sayin'.

There are so many needy dogs that one could go nuts trying to save them. Sounds like lots of future vet bills and not a lot of years left for this old guy. Our lives have been so much simpler after a lifetime of dogs so we have decided not to have anymore.Just a couple of easy cats...

If DH is not enthused, how MUCH is he resisting? I think dog ownership has to be a decision where all people who will be impacted by their presence give full support.

Every now and then I go "window shopping" for another dog, even though I am STILL grateful I can sit here in my robe and watch TV and don't have to dress early on a chilly fall VT morning and get out there and walk a pet (although from a health vantage point, I'm sure I'd be better off if I did). But DH is still in the "are you crazy?" camp when I bring up the possibility of another dog. If he were to say that he's ready, too, I'd give it more thought. I do love dogs, but they are a LOT of work..and I love Jane's Carlin quote. The way my heart broke in two when my dogs have died makes me reluctant to volunteer for that emotional vulnerability yet again. But someday I know I will.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Noki was 80 lbs and came with pain issues. The one tablet a day pain medication fixed him for almost 5 years. After being on it he could run, play and swim until his last 6 months. My husband is like yours Geila. He knows better than to make me choose between him and getting more dogs. We have stopped at 2 now mainly because of the cost here. My sister paid 165 for a dental in Chicago. My estimate is between 500-1k. Amy just had blood work and it was 290.

Thread Information