Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being Mortal

As long as my mind is sharp, that's the point (pun semi-unintentional). But I'm not in unremitting pain. Ask me again when I am.

That book was the first I heard of Green Houses. I have since made a mental note of the locations of Green Houses, in case someone I know becomes too frail to take care of themselves.http://www.thegreenhouseproject.org

Catherine, your MIL made the right choice. Many people are never the same having surgery at that age.

Yes - I read Being Mortal a few years ago. Very good book. Very serious book. Causes one to question a lot of medical advice ...

During this covid epidemic I’ve gotten more calls than usual from family who ask for medical advice. “Do I really need to go to the doctor for this?” They want to avoid places where sick people go if at all possible. I’ve given out a lot of directives that in the past I would have suggested the doctor for. Decided that they’re family and I have an insurance policy related to my RN license - so who cares. I’m giving advice. Every injury and ailment has cleared up with my advice. Interesting, huh?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Yes - I read Being Mortal a few years ago. Very good book. Very serious book. Causes one to question a lot of medical advice ...

During this covid epidemic I’ve gotten more calls than usual from family who ask for medical advice. “Do I really need to go to the doctor for this?” They want to avoid places where sick people go if at all possible. I’ve given out a lot of directives that in the past I would have suggested the doctor for. Decided that they’re family and I have an insurance policy related to my RN license - so who cares. I’m giving advice. Every injury and ailment has cleared up with my advice. Interesting, huh?!?
    I'm always amazed at the number of people who habitually go to the doctor. Of course you call an ambulance for emergencies, but I haven't had one of those yet, thankfully, and I haven't seen a doctor in decades. Once you get sucked into the system--especially in your geezer years--you're doomed, IMO.

Is 75 really old enough that in most cases a lot of health care measures won't improve quality of life at least? I don't think so. From my experience over 80 might be at that point where they become risky.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Is 75 really old enough that in most cases a lot of health care measures won't improve quality of life at least? I don't think so. From my experience over 80 might be at that point where they become risky.
    In this world, I consider 75 "young" in the same sense you do--there are so many healthy, vibrant 75 year-olds... OTOH, I see other 75 year-olds that are very sick.

When I had to interview doctors and ask how old is "elderly" they would always say "65"--and when I asked why, they said "because that's when things start falling apart." So I think there are those whose genetics or lifestyle or whatever work for them and those for whom those things work against them. But 65 might be the defining point for many.

I feel fortunate that I, at 68, wake up feeling great every day. But many do not. "There but for the grace of God go I."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm better off than some; worse off than others. In the grand scheme of things, I can't complain.
    Or I could, but what would be the point.

Jane, I have to go yearly to the general doctor for her to renew my medication. My allergist does the same for my homeopathic allergy drops and my cpap doctor for supplies. Ugh!

My 85-year-old mother with Alzheimer's has a new line she uses frequently: "I have a lot more to be grateful for than I do to bitch about." She definitely gets points for having a positive attitude despite grappling with one of the most horrific diseases imaginable. Poor Mom; she deserved better.

Thread Information