Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another Trump sign went up today

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know many well meaning people find it important to advance that narrative, but they need to do a better job of it
    Like provide proof of charges lodged against perpetrators? I'm sure you could find out which miscreants were violent that way.

I know many well meaning people find it important to advance that narrative, but they need to do a better job of it
    It was noted in the news and newspapers that Proud Boys were in Portland dressed for combat. The peaceful protesters decided to change plans and went to another place to protest. There was no violence to speak of. There is your narrative.

Leaked Proud Boys (sic) correspondences discussed assassinating the mayor, among other actions.
    https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2019/01/25/proud-boy-threatens-portland-mayor-im-coming-you

"The Proud Boys are a hate group known for their bigoted rhetoric against, among others, women and Muslims. The group’s involvement in a series of violent incidents in 2018 brought them national notoriety and attention from federal law enforcement."

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...oup/proud-boys

Is this the philosophy you're afraid Democrats will eliminate from public discourse, Alan? We still have free speech, and this kind of thing needs to be exposed, so I doubt it.:

“Let’s not bullshit,” Brian Brathovd, aka Caeralus Rex, told his co-hosts on the antisemitic The Daily Shoah — one of the most popular alt-right podcasts. If the Proud Boys “were pressed on the issue, I guarantee you that like 90% of them would tell you something along the lines of ‘Hitler was right. Gas the Jews.’”

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It was noted in the news and newspapers that Proud Boys were in Portland dressed for combat.
    I don't know what that means. I would think that you can dress to protect yourself against combat but that would seem to be a preventative measure rather than the offensive measure you're implying. Is that what you meant?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Leaked Proud Boys (sic) correspondences discussed assassinating the mayor, among other actions. They are a known hate group.
    https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...oup/proud-boys

Is this the philosophy you're afraid Democrats will eliminate from public discourse, Alan? We still have free speech, and this kind of thing needs to be exposed, so I doubt it.:
    No, I'm more concerned about the ability to say "I disagree with you" or "all lives matter" or "self defense is not murder" and not paying a heavy penalty for it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

One point to consider that he has done things he said he would do. NAFTA replacement deal? Done.
    But there is what this means and what people might have imagined it would mean. If people imagined a return to a pre-NAFTA world with much less outsourcing. Well nope, not happening. It's a few minor concessions that likely are improvements, affecting a small number of people, some of the better provisions of which were forced on Trump by the Dem house in negotiating anyway, and so actually are to their credit as much as anything. So a small number of people affected may care, but the type of change people might have thought was promised? Well it's not a large change to NAFTA.
    Trees don't grow on money

No, I'm more concerned about the ability to say "I disagree with you" or "all lives matter" or "self defense is not murder" and not paying a heavy penalty for it.
    "All lives matter" is just a way of pointedly ignoring that, historically, black lives haven't mattered--a refusal to admit that centuries of whipping, lynching, and police shootings haven't happened. Plenty of Republican lawmakers promote that line every day. I don't see any penalties. Self-defense is often an excuse for murder, and should be addressed in court, IMO. Where is the law that you can't disagree?

More from the Hatewatch article:

"The threats first came to the attention of Hatewatch after they were flagged by a user on Twitter. Axtell's tirade is one of the most recent attempts by members of the far-right network in the Pacific Northwest, anchored by the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer, to initiate violent encounters with leftists and now, it seems, democratically elected officials. Since 2016, the two groups have partnered to hold dozens of rallies and “ flash marches” in West Coast cities in hopes of brawling with counterprotesters. Their rallies have regularly descended into violent riots."

I don't know what that means. I would think that you can dress to protect yourself against combat but that would seem to be a preventative measure rather than the offensive measure you're implying. Is that what you meant?
    For one thing, it means they came armed. You're tying yourself in knots to defend troublemakers who are indefensible. If they haven't yet been classified as a terrorist group, it's just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    "All lives matter" is just a way of pointedly ignoring that, historically, black lives haven't mattered--a refusal to admit that centuries of whipping, lynching, and police shootings haven't happened.
    Maybe it means that to you but to me it's a natural extension of "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

If you want to live in a color blind society, you have to stop segregating.

Thread Information