Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another Trump sign went up today

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Trump is essentially a backlash politician. In 2016, I think a lot of people voted for him to give the finger to the condescending, intolerably smug disdain of the Left. In the seemingly unlikely event he wins in 2020, I think it may largely be due to disgust with all the violence at those mostly peaceful demonstrations. It’s a snobs and mobs thing.
    Otherwise known as "owning the libs," a concept invented by the anything-but-condescending right.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Opting to be colorblind so that you can also be blind to the injustice that is still real is not the point. People who point out injustice are not segregationists. You can sit there and say "I'm colorblind--I'm not a racist" while ignoring realities of injustice but that doesn't mean the injustice doesn't exist and shouldn't be addressed. You may be colorblind if you fail to acknowledge it, but a nation that has that kind of colorblindness is not the nation that MLK was dreaming about.
    There was a reason that quote started with "I have a dream," not "Behold glorious reality."

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    There was a reason that quote started with "I have a dream," not "Behold glorious reality."
    We'll never behold that glorious reality as long as we segregate ourselves by race or nationality or gender. It seems odd to me that suggesting we shouldn't do that is seen as an affront.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We'll never behold that glorious reality as long as we segregate ourselves by race or nationality or gender. It seems odd to me that suggesting we shouldn't do that is seen as an affront.
    I took a sociology class in college called Minority Groups. We all had to write long, involved papers recounting our experiences of others' cultures and races and propose solutions to problems related thereto. (Considering it was Portland in the sixties, I had a devil of a time padding my essay...) My solution was that we should all intermarry, render everyone an attractive shade of tan, and move on. Probably not practical, and we'd probably just find another way to distinguish ourselves, but at least it might have rendered the Proud Boys superfluous.

Ok, so you've mentioned it a second time, how were they dressed? Was it somehow different than any of their counter-protesters?
    Verbatim....

Several hundred people, dozens of them wearing armor, gathered to support President Donald Trump and his "law and order" reelection campaign Saturday afternoon...
    Organized by the Proud Boys, a group that has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center...
    Local and state elected officials forcefully condemned the event and rushed to shore up law enforcement ranks as left-wing groups organized several rallies to oppose the Proud Boys' message. About 1,000 counter-protesters gathered at another park.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Verbatim....

Several hundred people, dozens of them wearing armor, gathered to support President Donald Trump and his "law and order" reelection campaign Saturday afternoon...
    Organized by the Proud Boys, a group that has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center...
    Local and state elected officials forcefully condemned the event and rushed to shore up law enforcement ranks as left-wing groups organized several rallies to oppose the Proud Boys' message. About 1,000 counter-protesters gathered at another park.
    Oh, I see. Some type of body armor worn by a few dozen people out of several hundred. I wonder how many of the thousand or so counter-protesters wore the same?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Oh, I see. Some type of body armor worn by a few dozen people out of several hundred. I wonder how many of the thousand or so counter-protesters wore the same?
    But body armor is silly at a peaceful protest. Well, unless you are a veteran of peaceful protests where participants throw and blow up stuff.

Counter protesters gathered at another park..... to avoid the Proud Boys..... peaceful demonstration. You just don't want to see that the Proud Boys came there looking for trouble. trump is saying those (like Rittenhouse) are heroes when they come armed. Law and order .. ha.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But body armor is silly at a peaceful protest. Well, unless you are a veteran of peaceful protests where participants throw and blow up stuff.
    The Proud Boys are thugs, plain and simple. If you read my links, they hate a whole panoply of people who don't deserve it, complete with terroristic threats to various and sundry. It's eye-opening to see people leaping to their defense. They were looking for a fight, and didn't get it. Boo f-ing hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You just don't want to see that the Proud Boys came there looking for trouble.
    No, I suspect some of them did.
    trump is saying those (like Rittenhouse) are heroes when they come armed. Law and order .. ha.
    Businesses were being burned and looted while the police were under orders to limit confrontations. I made a career protecting persons and property while armed, sometimes somebody has to.

Thread Information