Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Trump sign went up today

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think the real breakthrough will be when we can see beyond color and dispense with old-timey racism as well as the more au courant racism of woke Ideology.
    And what will be the signals for that?
    Being proud to say that you invite your black neighbors over for pot luck every year?
    Or
    Maybe when blacks don't get disproportionately pulled over by police than whites
    Maybe when blacks don't get disproportionately jailed for minor offenses than whites
    Maybe when blacks are proportionately represented in C-suites and Congress
    Maybe when people understand why the Confederate flag might be offensive to huge segments of the population
    Maybe when the President stops being accused of being unAmerican because he had a Black father born in Kenya

Yes, that will be a wonderful breakthrough.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If the country with one of (or maybe the but the data is probably dubious some places) highest incarceration rates on the planet has people being murdered in their beds (not by cops) as a common occurrence, then maybe law and order isn't really accomplishing all that much, at best a stalemate? Sure some form of law enforcement exists nearly everywhere, but if you have the highest incarceration rate that's law and order (reliance on the criminal justice system) on steroids no? And how is that working out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rceration_rate
    Trees don't grow on money

Totally agree Catherine!!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s good to see the boutique bolsheviks of Seattle finding common ground with the artisanal arsonists of Portland.
    Oh this is rich!

I didn’t know there was rivalry between the two cities, but I don’t see why one would go to Seattle if one could live in Portland. I say that because of less expensive real estate in Portland and also better weather. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh this is rich!

I didn’t know there was rivalry between the two cities, but I don’t see why one would go to Seattle if one could live in Portland. I say that because of less expensive real estate in Portland and also better weather. I think.
    As someone who moved from a Portland suburb to a Seattle suburb, I would say that Seattle is much more scenic and has a better library system than Portland. Portland's real estate is a little cheaper, but I wouldn't say the weather is better. Portland is likely to have slightly icier winters and slightly hotter summers. I like the weather here.

I didn't know about a rivalry either, until I went to a wedding in Seattle, and told my kids in Portland how much I liked Seattle, and they weren't impressed.

I thoought the Seattle waterfront was really, really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    And what will be the signals for that?
    Being proud to say that you invite your black neighbors over for pot luck every year?
    Or
    Maybe when blacks don't get disproportionately pulled over by police than whites
    Maybe when blacks don't get disproportionately jailed for minor offenses than whites
    Maybe when blacks are proportionately represented in C-suites and Congress
    Maybe when people understand why the Confederate flag might be offensive to huge segments of the population
    Maybe when the President stops being accused of being unAmerican because he had a Black father born in Kenya

Yes, that will be a wonderful breakthrough.
    I wouldn’t contend racism doesn’t exist, but I would argue that counter-racism is not an effective tool to combat it. If we assign villain and victim status based on what people look like rather than the facts of any given case, we will never get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    When authoritarians come to power, they generally round up the educated and trundle them off to work camps or worse. I thought that was to prevent coordinated resistance, but maybe it was simple resentment all along.
    Resentment isn’t the most attractive motivation to be sure, nor the most intelligent from a political perspective. I don’t think your most forward-thinking authoritarians need to go to the expense of work camps if all they need to do is cancel academics, editors, writers or corporate managers for wrong-thinking or heterodox speech.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    You'all know my zip code by now. Very dark blue and very Democrat. Here you just don't vote against yourself by voting Republican - it just isn't done. Why would anyone in the 85006.vote Republican?

Seriously, for what purpose, what gain? To vote GOP doesn't compute where I live - to do so is both seriously disrespectful/self-sabotaging and also makes no sense whatsoever. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    As someone who moved from a Portland suburb to a Seattle suburb, I would say that Seattle is much more scenic and has a better library system than Portland. Portland's real estate is a little cheaper, but I wouldn't say the weather is better. Portland is likely to have slightly icier winters and slightly hotter summers. I like the weather here.
    I remember the library system in Portland was not so great but I always considered Portland more scenic - maybe because it"s smaller and s river cuts through it and I felt closer to nature there than in Seattle. Rob

Thread Information