Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Trump sign went up today

Reports of widespread violence in Portland seem wildly overblown to me; my friends there haven't seen much beyond graffiti. But it makes good fodder for Trumpsters' law and order types--a good excuse for him to flex his flaccid muscles and send federal troops, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Reports of widespread violence in Portland seem wildly overblown to me; my friends there haven't seen much beyond graffiti. But it makes good fodder for Trumpsters' law and order types--a good excuse for him to flex his flaccid muscles and send federal troops, I guess.
    My local contacts in Portland report they had looters from Seattle come down last weekend and set up shop in their kitchen, baking cookies and pies, and making quite a bit of mess.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My local contacts in Portland report they had looters from Seattle come down last weekend and set up shop in their kitchen, baking cookies and pies, and making quite a bit of mess.
    There's always been a rivalry between the two; fiercer now, probably due to COVID. I hope they were able to resolve their differences peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know many well meaning people find it important to advance that narrative, but they need to do a better job of it
    And those who disagree need to do a better job of refutation.

Ok, so you've mentioned it a second time, how were they dressed? Was it somehow different than any of their counter-protesters?
    There are plenty of articles out there that talk about it. Leave fox "news" and you'll learn.

We'll never behold that glorious reality as long as we segregate ourselves by race or nationality or gender. It seems odd to me that suggesting we shouldn't do that is seen as an affront.
    And we'll never behold that glorious reality if people who claim to "not see color" continue to ignore the fact that LOTS of people DO see color and react to it in crappy ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I think that's a wonderful idea. What would we do without refuse workers? And they're not likely to shoot you in your sleep, either!
    I’m not likely to be shot in my sleep at all, even in my murderous ZIP Code. However, any threat I have of being shot is certainly not coming from the police.

The number of random shootings by brothers of “citizens” (as we are called in The Wire television show) is increasing.

But your view of my world is quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Itís good to see the boutique bolsheviks of Seattle finding common ground with the artisanal arsonists of Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And we'll never behold that glorious reality if people who claim to "not see color" continue to ignore the fact that LOTS of people DO see color and react to it in crappy ways.
    I think the real breakthrough will be when we can see beyond color and dispense with old-timey racism as well as the more au courant racism of woke Ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Trump is essentially a backlash politician. In 2016, I think a lot of people voted for him to give the finger to the condescending, intolerably smug disdain of the Left. In the seemingly unlikely event he wins in 2020, I think it may largely be due to disgust with all the violence at those mostly peaceful demonstrations. Itís a snobs and mobs thing.
    When authoritarians come to power, they generally round up the educated and trundle them off to work camps or worse. I thought that was to prevent coordinated resistance, but maybe it was simple resentment all along.

Thread Information