Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Render to Caesar and other thoughts on public policy and the Gospel

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Has anyone read The Sparrow? I thought it was a good glimpse into religion and spirituality. I'm thinking of reading the sequel, Children of God, even though I'm not religious just because I want to see how the character reconciles his faith.
    The Sparrow and the sequel (children of god) were so good that I read them each twice. I rarely re-read books. The sequel was just as good, if not better.

Becky - there are lots of folks who agree with you about starting over. Some of them personally identify as Christian, but believe that almost everything that is called Christian today has nothing to do with the original gospel.

Catherine, you would like this place:

https://www.thedome.org/

It is the home of the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana. My husband and I went to mass there and he and the priest were the only males present. It was an amazing experience, really lovely mass, lovely singing, but it was so strange to experience a very feminine Catholic worship experience--I realize I felt fully at home there in a way I never had anywhere else.

I am glad these places exist for our world.

Oh Tybee, we've been there! We did noon time prayers. It was beautiful. They had a labyrinth that was mown into the grass, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Oh Tybee, we've been there! We did noon time prayers. It was beautiful. They had a labyrinth that was mown into the grass, too.
    Oh, how cool! Isn't it otherworldly? I did not see the labyrinth.

That place looks awesome!! I would definitely go there if I lived nearby. The closest I've gotten to something like that was Weston Priory, where DH and I did a 3 day silent retreat.

http://www.westonpriory.org

Alas, there were no women there. I'd love to go to the Sisters of St. Benedict. On a related note, my son/DIL decided to send my GSs 3 and 6 to the Catholic school at the end of the street. My son said that a nun came out and took GS3 by the hand. to lead him to his classroom on the first day of school.. she was actually wearing a wimple. Brought back so many memories. I'm shocked actually that my son went in that direction. But it made me SO nostalgic (in a weird way) for my own Catholic school upbringing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information