Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Debate

Yppej
    This is the first time I have not watched a presidential debate since I was a little kid and my parents wouldn't let me stay up late. As expected I did not miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I do wish they would turn off the mic during the two minutes on each topic when the opponent has the floor and they are not supposed to be speaking.
    That's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    It's sad to think we have devolved to such lunacy - what a circus. It didn't help either one of the candidates or really clarify any issues. Actually, Trump reminds me of some of the bullies I remember in grade school so a third grade teacher as moderator might be appropriate.
    Funny, on CBS this morning they said that they had received mail from circus people who were offended that they compared the debate to a circus, since many circus people are much more reasonable than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And now in his final statement trump is spewing qanon level absurdities about fictitious voter fraud. This traitor can’t leave soon enough. Why does he hate this country and our ideals so much? And why do his supporters support this?
    Yes! And it's just as frightening that he has so many supporters. It's a reality I'm really having trouble understanding.

On the plus side, I imagine membership in the Proud Boys and other domestic terrorist organizations will spike, now that President Crazypants endorsed them. Yeah, a kill switch would have been nice.

My thought was to stop the clock every time the opponent interrupts, thus giving the person interrupted their full time. ( I taught 4th grade for 31 years...) But, a silencing mic would be great. I was watching 8-9:30 Van der Volk on PBS, but husband was watching it in the other room I did see the last hour...not surprised, but truly himself calling for so called poll watchers which are in reality intimidators is typical but still appalling to me.

Call me a coward, but I really wish there were somewhere sane to escape to. That this has gone so far astounds and sickens me. What's the 25th amendment there for, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    My thought was to stop the clock every time the opponent interrupts, thus giving the person interrupted their full time. ( I taught 4th grade for 31 years...) But, a silencing mic would be great. I was watching 8-9:30 Van der Volk on PBS, but husband was watching it in the other room I did see the last hour...not surprised, but truly himself calling for so called poll watchers which are in reality intimidators is typical but still appalling to me.
    stopping the clock is good, agreed.

I didn’t watch the debate because I don’t have interest in the insanity.

I’m not intimidated by poll watchers, they are part of the workings of democracy. I will bet the majority of Americans didn’t know that there was an official role they could take at the polls and that is the role of poll watcher. In my area they register for that role. So it’s not like people just go into polling places and hang around casually without permissions– they may not.

Here It’s always the Democrats hanging out As official poll watchers.Remember all those accusations last go round about machine voting irregularities,
    Diebold machines, and etc.? I’m not sure what the poll watchers were watching for, I’m not even sure that it was an anti-Republican effort because well, there aren’t any Republicans here in the city. It’s just that Poll watchers do exist here it’s part of the democratic process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Call me a coward, but I really wish there were somewhere sane to escape to. That this has gone so far astounds and sickens me.
    I agree. I don't consider myself a coward, but definitely would like an escape from the insanity, violence and nastiness that seems rampant within this country right now. I am grateful that I can still see every day goodness and kindness between people, because otherwise it would be easy - at least for me - to fall into depression and nihilism.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information