Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cheater" food/recipes

"Cheater" food/recipes

While I do most of my cooking from scratch and definitely enjoy doing so, I will admit to having some "cheater" recipes. One such recipe is for what I have named "Cheater Cookies" and they have just 3 ingredients - a cake mix, 2 eggs and 1/3 cup oil. The beauty of this recipe is that it is fast, you can make them any flavor that exists as a boxed cake mix, and everyone I've ever made them for seems to love them! (They are also very soft for anyone with dental issues, chewing issues, etc.)

Here's the recipe:

1 box cake mix
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup oil

Set oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients. Shape into 1" balls, place on ungreased baking sheet and then flatten slightly. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown. (The tops will have "cracks" from rising.)

Any other cheater recipes out there?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Well, I use purchased spaghetti sauce, does that count? No one likes my home-made sauce but me. They say it tastes like it has too many tomatoes in it. A good many of our meals are combos of say, a purchased frozen main dish (kung-pao chicken for example) and we add more sauce, seasonings, veggies, riced cauliflower, etc. I love to bake, (but that's hard as we're really watching our carb intake!) - but day to day cooking, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    No one likes my home-made sauce but me. They say it tastes like it has too many tomatoes in it.
    LOL...I love my homemade sauce, but DH doesn't like it at all. I put sweet peppers in it and he doesn't like it. And then he complains that the cast iron pan smells like tomatoes. Personally, I can think of worse things it could smell like, like greasy French fries, but one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

My MIL had a great cheater recipe--one of those famous Campbell Soup recipes... she baked chicken in a sauce of Campbell's mushroom soup and sour cream, and it was delicious.

I cheat by throwing sautéed mirepoix and grated ginger into a boxed Costco organic chicken stock base, and making a soup out of it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I make what I call "can-can chili," starting with canned chili and adding corn or hominy, onions, garlic, pickled jalapenos, ground beef and/or whatever I have handy.

Basic soup - one can of stewed tomatoes with spice, some cooked legumes, corn, peas or mixed veggies, heat, and serve.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks, everyone. Love these ideas!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

[QUOTE=catherine;364031]LOL...I love my homemade sauce, but DH doesn't like it at all. I put sweet peppers in it and he doesn't like it. And then he complains that the cast iron pan smells like tomatoes. Personally, I can think of worse things it could smell like, like greasy French fries, but one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

My MIL had a great cheater recipe--one of those famous Campbell Soup recipes... she baked chicken in a sauce of Campbell's mushroom soup and sour cream, and it was delicious.

My mom used to make that when I was young. I have been looking for that recipe for years. Have never found it.
    Do you have your MIL recipe?

[QUOTE=whisperingpines;364165]
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

My mom used to make that when I was young. I have been looking for that recipe for years. Have never found it.

Do you have your MIL recipe?
    Here it is right from the Campbell Soup website. I thought she put sour cream in it but I guess she didn't. Also, I know she never put garlic in it--she never put garlic in anything, simply because that's not how she was raised to cook. Salt+pepper+no more than 5 ingredients was all she wanted to tackle in a recipe

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/qu...-chicken-bake/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

5 can chili.... 5 can soup... a few different recipes that are good.... when you really don't feel like cooking!

[QUOTE=catherine;364167]
    Quote Originally Posted by whisperingpines View Post

Here it is right from the Campbell Soup website. I thought she put sour cream in it but I guess she didn't. Also, I know she never put garlic in it--she never put garlic in anything, simply because that's not how she was raised to cook. Salt+pepper+no more than 5 ingredients was all she wanted to tackle in a recipe

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/qu...-chicken-bake/
    Thank you.... I'm not sure that is the recipe. She cooked it in the oven wrapped in Tin foil. But I try this, thanks again.

Thread Information