Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salad spinner

Salad spinner

I am serious, don't laugh. I threw away my salad spinner after years of service because it broke, and I'll probably get another one. I just can't get the lettuce dry enough without spinning.

Recommend a brand? I suppose I should watch for these at the thrift store.

Oxo. Easy to use and it's fast, and the top pump compresses for easier storage. It even has a brake. And the plastic basket is quite sturdy. It was heavily marketed a few years ago so I've seen a good number at yard sales. Retail, they are about $25, but yard sale prices for new/used is from about $1 to $5.
    moo

Avoid OXO...it did nothing for me. My lettuce was still wet.

Quote Originally Posted by porcelain View Post
    Avoid OXO...it did nothing for me. My lettuce was still wet.
    Perhaps you are filling the inner basket with too much lettuce. For spinners to work properly, you have to give the lettuce enough room to move to the outside as the basket spins, hence allowing the water to be tossed against the outside wall of the container and then into the bottom. I use my spinner almost daily, even washing and selling my extra lettuce, and I love the thing. Obviously, YMMV.
    moo

Isn't "salad spinner" one of the legendary hot topics of great debate on the old SLN forums? I opened this up to find something controversial...but not yet!

Mrs-M
    Oh boy- oh boy- oh boy!!! FLORENCE! Where are you???

I was so excited when I read that you got rid of your old spinner Iris, yet totally disappointed in you for mentioning that you'll probably be getting another. I'm not trying to undermine anyone's love for salad spinners, but I can chop/slice up a head of lettuce, wash/rinse all the leaves under the tap, grab all the freshly rinsed roughage and shake it a few times (with it clumped between my hands), give it a few good slaps up against the inside of the sink basin, then deposit into a bowl. All done.

To me (so it seems), using a spinner would add needless time to the preparation process. Dragging the unit out, removing the lid, mucking the inside all up with wet lettuce, putting the lid on then spinning, removing the lid and dumping out the contents, washing and drying the spinner afterwards. Whew... Just seems like a whole lot of nonsense to contend with to make a salad. And besides, who likes dry salad anyway?

OXO! The one with the button that functions as a "brake" to stop the basket. Love my salad spinner - and dry salad ;-)

Now, now, Mrs M, I think you are intentionally trying to stir things up.

(You would wash and dry your spinner afterwards???? egads.)

Because I grow extra and sell a lot of my lettuce (washed), I would be adrift without a good salad spinner. I even have an outside lettuce/veggie washing station so I can use all the water I want, and then pour it into a container that via a hose, drains directly into the small pond so no water is wasted down the sink. In my part of Calif, water is precious.
    moo

I have 2 spinners, one smaller that I use for herbs from the garden. It's an OXO. Don't know the others' brand; both came from Goodwill. I LOVE them! I cut greens out of the garden right into the spinner basket, put it into its bowl, add filtered water, spin & done. Spinning the correct amount of greens does indeed get them dry enough for a lovely salad. I don't like wet greens. The water then gets used on houseplants or outside containers that need it.

I rinse out whatever clings to the basket & bowl and air dry them in the dish drainer. Once in awhile - like monthly - I run the small one through the dishwasher, and give a soap & hot water wash to the big one.

Reyes
    I cannot see the words 'salad spinner' without chuckling. Something about this board has done that to me:-)
    Last edited by Reyes; 6-9-11 at 4:25pm.

Thread Information