Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little rain must fall.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

A little rain must fall.....

Even in my oft-referenced zip code. Get this.....There is a house on the next street over occupied by renters with Kansas plates - new people in the neighborhood. They are flying a Trump flag on their rented property and I wonder if anybody thought to warn them? There is so much anger in the 85006 both towards Trump and towards America and these people are new to the neighborhood. I worry there may be consequences - and that's not right, especially given that these people are very recent transplants. Their Subaru has a Wichita Kansas dealer chrome thing on the back of the car and I am aware that Kansas is Conservative, Capital C. Would you warn them or let them learn? Rob

I think it’s too bad that those innocent midwesterners have entered a place where free speech performed on their own property is going to earn them attention by bullies who will injure their property or even their persons. Yuck.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think it’s too bad that those innocent midwesterners have entered a place where free speech performed on their own property is going to earn them attention by bullies who will injure their property or even their persons. Yuck.
    Not everyone resembles your last sentence, IL. I wish them no harm and am I not asking if others would warn them? DidbO not state that consequences would be wrong? I'm going to be charitable here and hazard to guess that they don't understand the faux pas they made - at least in the eyes of others around here. I'd rather the neighborhood be more welcoming and understanding. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I agree that it would be unfortunate. And I'm glad that Rob is hoping that nothing bad would happen. But I'm reminded of a useful phrase for getting through life. "Know your audience."

There is a great episode in the most recent season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" involving a MAGA hat in a blue area. If you can access it on demand I recommend it for a good laugh. It is in the premiere episode of season 10.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Not everyone resembles your last sentence, IL. I wish them no harm and am I not asking if others would warn them?
    It seems that what you're struggling over is whether or not you or someone else should warn them that they do not belong in your neighborhood. That it would be best if they either took steps to hide their ideology or get out before something bad happens. I don't mean to be harsh but if that's the case, in my opinion your neighborhood doesn't deserve them.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Would you warn them or let them learn? Rob
    Maybe you should organize an intervention or struggle session that emphasizes the consequences of nonconformity.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Maybe you should organize an intervention or struggle session that emphasizes the consequences of nonconformity.
    That’s true, re-education is a kinder, gentler approach. Even if some of it goes on for years and is, at times, uncomfortable for those in the hot seat. In the end, it is worth it to society. /sarcasm.

It is astonishing how those who hyperventilate with fear over imagined government slights accept an environment that delivers actual slights and worse.

I am thinking this might be a good chance to model good behavior, and go visit them with cookies or a cake or something and welcome them to the neighborhood. You are a neighborhood leader, so perhaps others would follow suit and be kind to them.

I wouldn't say anything at all bout their sign. Their sign, their business. They have eyes, they know what kind of neighborhood they have moved into. Maybe this is them trying to persuade others; all you can do is be welcoming, in my opinion.

I agree with Tybee.

Thread Information