Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little rain must fall.....

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Wow! So is this comment indicative of how people in your area handle such situations?
    No, I don't live in the 85006.

I do live in one of the most progressive districts in the country. A couple doors down the street from me is the head of the local Republican party. A couple doors in the other direction is the head of the local Democratic party. Oddly, I'm in the middle. We all help each other with neighborhood maintenance, safety, and health issues. Both of them are on the committee of folks who great new homeowners here, bring them cookies, and a copy of our recommended Firewise procedures.

But it's not the 85006.

I do have a flock of rainbow-colored flamingos at the entrance to my driveway, so far none of them have been molested, nor have I had a talking-to by anyone.

We did have this happen a few years ago in the village, and it sort of backfired on the folks trying to cause a ruckus - even the badass scary ultra-right-wing Marine put up a rainbow flag on his building to support his new neighbors.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/arc...n-orcas-island

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No, I don't live in the 85006.

I do live in one of the most progressive districts in the country. A couple doors down the street from me is the head of the local Republican party. A couple doors in the other direction is the head of the local Democratic party. Oddly, I'm in the middle. We all help each other with neighborhood maintenance, safety, and health issues. Both of them are on the committee of folks who great new homeowners here, bring them cookies, and a copy of our recommended Firewise procedures.

But it's not the 85006.

I do have a flock of rainbow-colored flamingos at the entrance to my driveway, so far none of them have been molested, nor have I had a talking-to by anyone.

We did have this happen a few years ago in the village, and it sort of backfired on the folks trying to cause a ruckus - even the badass scary ultra-right-wing Marine put up a rainbow flag on his building to support his new neighbors.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/arc...n-orcas-island
    All of which makes such a violent response so surprising!

LOL on the rainbow-colored flamingos, as I've been wanting to put some traditional pink ones in a sibling's front yard as a *surprise* for years now. I like the idea of more color.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Completely uncalled for.

Personally, I would just stay away from them--that strikes me as the prudent response. Arriving with signs and flags on their first day in a new neighborhood tells me they're looking for a confrontation. I suppose if you're eager to be an ambassador, you could show up with cookies or something--just pray they're not trigger-happy types who itch to blow away a stranger at their doorstep. It's happened before.

I wouldn't say anything about the flag at all. They know what they're doing.

ETA: I was trying to think of an analogy--it would be like pointing out some kind of social faux pas like aggressive farting or something. Best to ignore it, if possible, and move along.

thanks for the laugh!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am thinking this might be a good chance to model good behavior, and go visit them with cookies or a cake or something and welcome them to the neighborhood. You are a neighborhood leader, so perhaps others would follow suit and be kind to them.

I wouldn't say anything at all bout their sign. Their sign, their business. They have eyes, they know what kind of neighborhood they have moved into. Maybe this is them trying to persuade others; all you can do is be welcoming, in my opinion.
    Beautiful advice, Thank You! Rob

I know a couple, fairly good friends, who are in a middle-income neighborhood. They've been there for years, and are not shy about posting their preferences on their cars and fence. They are 70-yr-olds, the gentleman has Parkinson's Disease, and his wife is his caregiver.

This past week someone has been plastering Trump bumperstickers on their car and also attached a long vinyl Trump banner on their fence.

Now how's that for neighborly? They're kind of scared, feeling harassed. Here in a solidly blue state.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That’s true, re-education is a kinder, gentler approach. Even if some of it goes on for years and is, at times, uncomfortable for those in the hot seat. In the end, it is worth it to society. /sarcasm.

It is astonishing how those who hyperventilate with fear over imagined government slights accept an environment that delivers actual slights and worse.
    Ummmmm......some neighborly advice, IL? I wouldn't make that comment out.loud in the West End of Louisville, KY these says. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm surprised y'all just don't burn them out, or creep into their house with machetes in the night.
    Ditto on Jane's words. Completely uncalled for. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Ditto on Jane's words. Completely uncalled for. Rob
    Come now.

I have accepted that most of my neighbors are trump supporters. I politely declined the neighborhood potluck though as politics will come up and it makes me very uncomfortable to be the only one with more progressive views. Driving through Texas this week, we have seen Trump signs everywhere. At a gas station, DH did not have his mask on while pumping and a complete stranger came up and thanked him for being a patriot. It is all too weird...so just accept that this is what we have come to and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    At a gas station, DH did not have his mask on while pumping and a complete stranger came up and thanked him for being a patriot.
    Just like all those patriots at the White House super spreader event last Saturday...

Thread Information