Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Plot Thickens.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The Plot Thickens.....

Trump and the First Lady both just tested positive for Covid-19. Whatever do you make of this and potential consequences going forward? I'm speechless but not very surprised. Rob

Yppej
    Trump is elderly and overweight. If it does him in would Pence become the nominee?

Oh dear. Praying for everyone at the White House. This can't be good news for anyone.
    Also praying for Biden and hoping that he can win the election.

I keep telling myself on November 3 it will all be over. 4 weeks.

I look back in fondness of the Gore/Bush drama of determining who really won the election and doubt that our current days will ever be as pleasing in nostalgia as that event was. Just get us out of Election 2020, please!

The blessing "May you live in interesting times" continues to manifest itself. As much as I don't like Trump as President, I certainly wish him no ill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm viewing this through the lens of what would be best for the country. (Trump, of course, will view it the opposite way, since for a narcissist the measure of anything is how it affects him.) A couple of scenarios seem possible here:

1. Trump has the virus and shows few or no symptoms. This is probably the worst outcome for the country, since he will crow about his superior physiology (his "good genes") and continue to maintain that covid is no big deal, that people don't need to wear masks, that it will all magically go away, that everything should open up, etc. He and his supporters will interpret as vindication of their views what is in fact the result of dumb luck.
    2. Trump has moderate to severe symptoms, like Boris Johnson did. Unlike Johnson, it won't serve as any kind of wake-up call, however. It will keep him off the campaign trail for weeks, however, which may be a good thing. It could help Biden by making Trump look weak. He'll likely try to claim the election should be postponed. So this scenario is equivocal.
    3. Trump gets severely ill and remains at death's door through election day. This too, is hard to predict. Seeing Trump this way might sway a tiny number of voters, but it will probably end up as a wash--others will vote figuring they'd just as soon have Pence. (Probably a lot of mainstream Republicans are hoping for this scenario.)
    4. Trump dies before election day. Unlikely, but probably similar to No. 3. It might even help the Republicans, who will think, "Thank God we're rid of this clown--now we can have Pence, who like Trump will rubber-stamp our reactionary agenda without uttering obscenities we have to defend or dodge every few days."

Just some random thoughts on what's shaping up to be a slow work day (though a fast news day).

And I wonder how many in his inner circle were exposed and at risk. There sure are a lot of alternate futures that could come about. I don't think the market is going to like this, among other unpleasant possibilities.

Considering his relationship with masks/masking, it's not surprising that he got the virus (if it is true to begin with! If it is not, what a slap in the face to all who have had it - survivors and victims!). Anyway, if he, Melania and anyone around him actually have it, I wish them recovery.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Considering his relationship with masks/masking, it's not surprising that he got the virus (if it is true to begin with! If it is not, what a slap in the face to all who have had it - survivors and victims!). Anyway, if he, Melania and anyone around him actually have it, I wish them recovery.
    Are you suggesting a Republican conspiracy to abort the debates because of his abysmal performance? Hmmm...

My thought is when he recovers he's going to say he's a victim of a Democratic mastermind to intentionally infect and kill him, spearheaded by Nancy Pelosi. Assassination by modern-day hemlock.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I vote for scenarios 3 or 4.

Thread Information