Thread: Healthy clothing fragrance sheets?

Healthy clothing fragrance sheets?

10/2

Hello all!

My clothing is temporarily stored in a small place where they can smell musty and unpleasant.

Does anybody have any suggestions of something like a natural fragrance sheet that you can place next to this pile of clothing to make them smell more fresh and appealing? I tried using the fragrance sheets from Mrs Meyers (lavender) but they were so faint that they virtually made no difference to me having them near my clothes or putting them into the dryer with the clothes.

Or any suggestions for any other means to keep the *already washed* clothes fresh smelling?

Thanks!

Craigo

Wash cloth with essential oil of choice on it?

Try using Tide detergent. That smell is so good to me and that might help repel the musty odor, I wonder.

Rinse with vinegar when laundering. I have found that a bar of fragrant soap of choice packed with stored clothing does keep them fresher smelling.

Tradd, it is funny how our sense of smell varies. I find that Tide &/or any of the softener sheets are just unpleasantly smelly. I don't like going into antique stores either as they make me gag.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Antique stores makes me gag, too!

Proper ventilation.

I often stick a bar of nice smelling soap, wrapped in a thin cloth or netting, in stored clothing. Dried herb bundles, dried lavender bundles, cedar chips, all work, depending on smells one finds appealing. Place them carefully, as some fabrics take up any present oils very easily. Don't know what is in your antique stores - never had a gag reflex from them! - but thrift stores gag me - that spray they use gets me every time.

If you want something to put BY your clothing, I'd go for a desiccant (I use cat liter) and/or a solid air freshener (I find the citrus ones the least offensive, YMMV). This combo (litter/solid air freshener) works for me in closets with poor ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Rinse with vinegar when laundering. I have found that a bar of fragrant soap of choice packed with stored clothing does keep them fresher smelling.

Tradd, it is funny how our sense of smell varies. I find that Tide &/or any of the softener sheets are just unpleasantly smelly. I don't like going into antique stores either as they make me gag.

Same here.

Can you hang them on a clothesline for a couple of hours? I'm assuming not, but that's what I would do.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was going to suggest clothesline too, but realize that's not an option for everyone. I have heard of newspaper absorbing odors in old chests of drawers. Maybe try that? Or just placing all the clothing in individual bags?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information