Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss

Weight Loss

This can certainly be a challenge at any age but more so in the senior years. I have lost 15 lbs in 8 weeks by drinking nothing with calories except for 2 cups of coffee a day. I was able to get off one of my high blood pressure medications. My friend did the same thing with similar results. I have rediscovered my love of sparkling flavored water. 5 years ago I lost 40 lbs and kept it off. I suspect that I will hit a plateau in another 5lbs which is fine. Need to remove the clothes from my closet that are too big now. Anyone else working on this?

After sliding a bit on keto (A1c was up .3 points; was not happy with that; it's now back where it was) and realizing that most of what we did for exercise went away with lockdown, I've been paying more attention to food and, particularly, snacking, which is just so &#*$ easy to do when I'm 30 feet from the kitchen. I haven't gained any weight; to the contrary, I lost another pound last month. But I know eating season (the holidays) and hibernation season (Minnesota winter) are coming. I want to be ahead of all that if possible.
    Last edited by SteveinMN; 10-3-20 at 2:43pm. Reason: added blue text
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

That's great, TT and Steve! We aren't keto but have been cutting carbs and trying to eat more veggies and fruits over the past year or so. All three of us have lost weight since March, mostly due to my being home (the covid shutdown, my work "disagreement" and consequent retirement all hitting the fan at once really overturned my life, lol....) and focusing more on healthier food options. I've lost 15 lbs, DH has lost 20, and I am not asking DD her numbers, but I can see she's lost also. Exercise is a challenge. It's hard for me to not see actual scheduled exercise as my "enemy" - something I've been struggling with most of my life. I had exercise-induced asthma in the 60s, when it hadn't been "invented" yet and there were no fast-acting inhalers. There was a big push for fitness in schools (anybody else remember the Presidential fitness tests back then? TORTURE for many of us) and I hated gym class and structured physical activities with a passion that endures to this day. Currently I am trying to do a lot of stretches and take walks when the mood strikes me. I seem to have hit a plateau, though, so healthier snacking is my current focus.

I remember fitness tests. They may have turned a whole generation against anything touted as exercise--which has has little to do with weight loss, anyway, though it's certainly health-enhancing.

As far as I'm concerned, exercise should feel like play, not work--or worse yet, torture. When I was able and had a partner, we used to play what I called "first bounce or fall down" which involved going to a local park and tossing a playground ball around, hoping that it didn't end up in Lake Washington. Great fun.

I don't snack, as constant eating just keeps insulin up and perpetuates hunger. I do have some good habits.

Ah yes, the Presidential Fitness tests....along with the Iowa Skills tests, what fun we had in the good ol' days.

I am back on WW, full-on tracking what I eat within my daily points budget. It works for me when I do it--this week I lost 2 lb. I also like to go out in the evening and bike around 3-5 miles. I say I am going to keep that up even when it's raining, but I've said that before. We'll see.

I'm with Jane--I have to enjoy exercise, whether it's walking, cycling or hiking...weights and gym equipment doesn't do it for me. If the pool ever opens, I'll be there.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I rather enjoy weights. Is it the thrill of my life, no, but it's ok and I rather enjoy building muscle. Thinking of joining an outdoor gym again and screw any minor risks of covid whatever those might be, it's not like I really know the precise risk level (indoor gyms are not allowed here now, and really unsafe IMO - I don't think I would do them).

But yea with covid and fires that have been burning for a month now and ridiculously hot temperatures of over 100 degrees this week and a few weeks ago, of this endless heck year, exercise has gone by the wayside. When it was just ONE obstacle like covid some was getting done, but crazy got piled onto crazy, until it was amazing one got out of bed at all. I got my bf to take a walk with me recently and he was much more affected by the smoke than me, when he got back he was a shadow of himself, just sitting there in pain recovering barely aware, saying nothing, just numb and struggling. So yea, I'll walk alone, and it's probably not good for me either, but I get completely stir crazy with no exercise AT ALL. I think exercise has an impact on weight but it's just not huge, it's 5-10 pounds or so, which might be great if that's all one is concerned about, but may not be life changing.
    Trees don't grow on money

I love to walk but with asthma haven’t been able to for over a month.

It’s abhorrent to me when government or employers get involved in telling us how to eat and exercise. But I’m a hypocrite because I do the necessary steps in our wellness program to get the $60 monthly discount on our insurance. But I do it on company time as much as I can. Ugh.

I haven't gained, but haven't lost either. I'm hoping once I start back to work on Monday that I will start losing. I should also do better with not as much snacking, since I'm not going to be around the house 24/7.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

During the early stages of the lockdown, back in April, I became alarmed by my BP, which was up despite being on medication, and my weight, which was about as high as it's ever been (around 245 at 5'10"). I knew both are serious risk factors for covid, along with my age. Over the next couple of months I lost around 25 lbs through a combination of intermittent fasting (in my case eating only between noon and six) and cutting way down on meat and dairy. BP went down quite a bit and I was able to reduce my medication dose.

During the summer, I lapsed back into old habits somewhat. BP started going back up and doc and I are still tweaking the meds. I've kept the weight off, though.

Just a few days ago I resolved to return to the IF regimen. I'm going to try to stick with it for the remainder of the year and see if I can lose more weight, since I'm still technically obese.

Exercise has been a challenge. During the lockdown I was doing micro-workouts in my apartment. Walking has become my principal form of exercise since it's really the only one available. Going to the gym is still not a good idea.

Thread Information