Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A little OCD

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That is an awesome pattern!!

Here is my MILs old pattern: https://www.vintagecorelle.com/vinta...som-green.html
    Nooooooo! I grew up with that pattern. It was mom’s birthday present in 1974 or so. Another relative had it in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Nooooooo! I grew up with that pattern. It was mom’s birthday present in 1974 or so. Another relative had it in gold.
    It is really iconic! Frugal, you are super lucky you found those bowls for a dime!

The bowls for this pattern have a brown stripe but I am thinking of using these with them--they are made of recycled maple shavings, from Vermont:

My mother loved the Corelle dishes. She had at least 3 sets over her later years buying a new set every time a new pattern caught her interest. The price was affordable and they gave her great joy. I think that earlier china had always been fragile and requiring great care and chipping easily. She loved her dishwasher so the Corelle washed well and had lovely patterns. Another lovely trip down memory lane....

Vintage designs are fun to search for, find and add to one's collection. I got tired of my current flatware which was pricey originally but tiny little spots of rust were appearing especially in the knives. I had an old set of 1810 Rogers Oneida that was missing some pieces that had been a wedding gift. I didn't know the name of the design so went looking and ended up at the vintage designs on E-bay. I found the pattern and completed my set with ample surplus pieces. I still love the Surf Maid pattern and the quality is worth it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oneida-1881....c100752.m1982
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Here you go. Maybe this will help. Although I do not like many of these colors. Pistachio? Blech...

https://www.thekitchn.com/features/k...4Ino281mq_1ISs
    I’m settling on kitchen cabinets being a light blue, very similar to the light blue in the lower right corner of these illustrations.

I like the idea of navy even though it’s a bit trendy. But my tiny kitchen has no window and so it’s already quite dark.

I guess I will use gray =white stone on counter and backsplash, either marble or quartzite. Haven’t decided for sure. There was a light blue marble that was in the mix of consideration and I have not entirely eliminated that one. I need to see it in better light so I’m gonna take a flashlight with me to the show room next time.

Tybee those evobowls are awesome and they meld perfectly with the Corelle!

IL, if you talking about the periwinkle blue, I love that color!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Tybee those evobowls are awesome and they meld perfectly with the Corelle!

IL, if you talking about the periwinkle blue, I love that color!!
    Periwinkle is one of the few blues I'm really drawn to. Smart to use lighter colors in an already dark space. You might want to add extra lighting, too.
    Last edited by Jane v2.0; 10-11-20 at 3:19pm.

I love love love periwinkle! And yes I would say this blue I’m choosing is a light periwinkle.

That blue is pretty. Our kitchen has no windows but we get light from the dining room. I purposely didn’t choose anything dark because of that.

Yea maybe corelle is declasse (who knows, who cares?) but all I've ever owned in dishes is corelle, well also some clear glass. It is plain white corelle, even got some plain white corning mugs to match. It's super easy to clean by hand, doesn't break easily, is lightweight, what's not to like.

My MIL's house looked exactly the same for decades. Same curtains, same furniture, same knick-knacks in the same place. She did swap out furniture or carpet that was worn out, but that happened very infrequently. One of her friends asked her, "Don't you get sick of the same colors?" And she simply said no. Her house could have been used as a set for a 50s show. But it was sparkling clean and polished and so homey. She liked her things, but also, she was extremely frugal.
    I aspire to that, well okay who cares if you move the knick knacks around, but like I've said this remaking things all the time is completely crazy. Though I can relate a bit to the 20 sets of bedding

I knew someone who decided to buy all new furniture for their apartment because they were bored of their apartment and were thinking of moving but found out all comparable apartments would cost more (often the case if you've lived somewhere awhile) and that it was much cheaper to completely refurnish instead. Likely so, but still seemed wasteful.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yea maybe corelle is declasse (who knows, who cares?) but all I've ever owned in dishes is corelle, well also some clear glass. It is plain white corelle, even got some plain white corning mugs to match. It's super easy to clean by hand, doesn't break easily, is lightweight, what's not to like.

I aspire to that, well okay who cares if you move the knick knacks around, but like I've said this remaking things all the time is completely crazy. Though I can relate a bit to the 20 sets of bedding

I knew someone who decided to buy all new furniture for their apartment because they were bored of their apartment and were thinking of moving but found out all comparable apartments would cost more (often the case if you've lived somewhere awhile) and that it was much cheaper to completely refurnish instead. Likely so, but still seemed wasteful.
    The gal I talked about earlier that had 20 different bedsets also changed her living room every few years. She was buying $2,000 couches. No wonder she had to rent!

Thread Information