Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little OCD

I kind of live the use it up, wear it out, make do or do without kind of life.

I am paralyzed by too many options as well. My hubby knows this. He secretly worked with a furniture maker to design and build our kitchen, and gifted it to me as a done deal. I was only left to pick granite countertops He went to the granite place and had them move three slabs to the front for my review. Easiest remodel ever.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Fortunately, I can accept that there are several equally good choices in life for the same issue. I can choose path A and still look at Path B as having some good parts to it and I miss those good parts, but I am content with Path A.

Except when it comes to kitchen cabinets, countertops and tile. Right now. Ha Hah Hah Hah Hah! I’m in a swirling quandary of choices. White kitchen? Blue kitchen? Blue marble? White marble?
    Oh. I love blue and white together! My kitchen towels are blue and white and so are my Corelle dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post

I worked with someone who also continually changed her bedroom. She had 20 bed covering sets on the top shelf of her walk in closet. To me ... what a waste of money. Here we have one for summer and one for winter. Everything in the room matches for both... nothing else is changed.
    I really could not be in constant change mode, given my difficulty with decisions. Once I've decided, I'm done.

My MIL's house looked exactly the same for decades. Same curtains, same furniture, same knick-knacks in the same place. She did swap out furniture or carpet that was worn out, but that happened very infrequently. One of her friends asked her, "Don't you get sick of the same colors?" And she simply said no. Her house could have been used as a set for a 50s show. But it was sparkling clean and polished and so homey. She liked her things, but also, she was extremely frugal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Cath, I love hearing the little insights that you share about your MIL. Sounds like a remarkable woman!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That many sets of bedding? Wow.

Cath, I like hearing about your MIL as well. I’ve had the same couch since 2005 or so. It got a navy slipcover 12 years ago to match the chair from IKEA I bought when I moved into the current place.

I don’t bother with decorative bedding. It’s just me and it’s rare I have people over. I don’t even make my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I'm not OCD, I just kinda don't care enough.
    That's DW's stance. I may have relayed this anecdote before, but before we married DW remodeled her home extensively. She made the big decisions (layout, fireplace/no fireplace, oak kitchen cabinets, etc.) but when it came to "minutiae" like flooring and cabinet pulls, she told the contractor to decide.

otoh I care much more about what stuff looks like. I probably looked at cabinet pulls for the kitchen (well before DW moved in) for maybe 4-6 weeks. Not full-time, of course, but I was looking for something fairly specific. I found it (on ebay of all places). No buyer's remorse at all.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My first BF was OCD about how his home looked, always getting new bedding, new furniture, you name it. Not too long after we started dating, nearly 30 years ago, he commented that I should get adult dishes. I was still using the random garage sale stuff mom had got me when I went off the meal plan my third year at college. I agreed and we went to the Pfalzgraff outlet store in Bucks County, PA. Within 10-15 minutes I'd picked out a pattern, decided how many plates, bowls, etc I needed (and had room for in my tiny NYC apartment), and we set about looking through the seconds to find the least blemished ones. Twenty minutes later we were at the checkout. He had expected this to be an all morning project. Since we had the rest of the morning free we went to the craft fair/flea market where I picked up a basic black leather belt to wear with my jeans that I still use to this day. When I met current SO 16 years ago it turned out that he had the exact same pattern of dishes! That made moving in together a couple years later really easy. We still use some of those dishes, although we got rid of most, except the rimmed soup bowls and pasta bowls, when I inherited my mother's collection of Franciscan Starburst pattern dishes. SO has added to that collection and we will likely use them for the rest of our lives because they are super cute.

dishes.jpg

What a funny story! Love the starburst pattern!

That is a GREAT story, jp!!What a coincidence! What better sign that you're meant to be together??

My SIL, a mid-century modern fanatic, would salivate over that starburst pattern. On a similar vein, that same SIL happened to find some old Corelle ware at a garage sale, and it happened to be my MILs old pattern. My DD insisted they use it at their wedding. We had to supplement 4 plates out of 24 with a slightly different pattern, but it was all Corelle. I warned them in advance that this dinnerware is not considered very "luxe"--and a caterer might refuse to plate on it--but they used it and it was beautiful, set against the live-edge tables that my SIL's dad made from $5 slabs picked up on the side of the road, and beautiful linen napkins sewn and engraved with individual names to be used as both name "cards" and wedding favors. It's so much fun to have young designers in the family.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information