Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance

Car Insurance

So I was looking to see how to reduce my car insurance. I pay $180 a month now for my 2007 Prius and DH's 2004 Chevy Avalanche (pick-up truck).

The VT quote is $120 a month, which would include collision (I currently don't have collision).

But I did an online quote through Progressive for the fun of it and it turned out to be $53 a month. How can that be?? What fine print should I look out for? The only catch is to get a discount I have to agree to an app that monitors our driving habits for 6 months. But I'm fine with that and so is DH.

What do you guys pay (if you're willing to share)?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It is VERY location dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    It is VERY location dependent.
    yes.Living as I do in the land of the Lawless, insurance is high. Lot of car crime and collisions with the uninsured. I don’t know how much we pay but it wouldn’t be relevant anyway because we have a bunch of vehicles.

Yppej
    Do you have homeowners with Progressive? If so part of the lower rate may be from bundling.

We have additional coverage besides what's mandated, because we have assets that could be attached ( like if there was injury). With lower premiums check the deductible as well as what the coverage are, so you aren't surprised when you need to use them. For us, going from a $500 deductible to a $1000 one saved a bunch of money.

We paid just under $900/year for a 2015 Honda Fit and a 2010 VW Golf, with collision, additional liability coverages and a $1000 deductible and we live in a fairly low rated (low= fewer claims) community.
    Last edited by herbgeek; 10-7-20 at 10:01am.

Definitely compare like coverages. And don't be surprised when that $53 a month goes up to maybe $65 a month the following year.

My experience with auto insurance is that I get older and the car gets older and we don't claim but the rate never goes down. The way to really save on auto insurance, sadly, is to jump from carrier to carrier every couple of years. The come-on price is for new customers, not good loyal ones.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

All good points and good advice above. I saved a bunch of money changing to a new carrier a few years ago, after someone on the Forum (I think perhaps Rogar) talked about the "loyalty penalty." Funny enough, the company I changed to was a wholly-owned subsidiary of my former carrier. My rates have since been creeping upward and I think it will soon be time to comparison shop again.
    For what it's worth, we pay $1553 per year or about $130 a month for our 2014 Ford Focus and 2007 Saturn Sky, full coverage other than no collision on the Sky and we have extra PD and liability coverage for both. I'm sure our suburb of Boston is more expensive that your island in VT, so not really apples to apples.
    Compare coverages and also check consumer satisfaction ratings.

Thanks, everyone. I know geography dictates the rates, so I understand why it's less in VT than NJ for sure, but I wasn't sure why two quotes for VT were so different (120/mo v 53/mo.). I'm going to look into it, but unless there is some huge red flag I'm going with the cheaper one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

The last insurance bundle renewal we had was just a few days ago when we added a condo to the fleet of insurance covered items. We got a discount for being old. We got a discount for being longtime customers. We got a discount for never filing a claim. In more than 30 years we’ve never filed a claim. Seems like there’s another discount we got. I don’t remember what the bill is though.

My situation probably doesn't compare, but my State Farm auto rate went down something like 20% on my last billing cycle. I got a letter saying that due to Covid people were driving less so they were having fewer claims. I am suspicious, but that's a first for me having insurance actually go down without anything else changing.

Thread Information