Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance

Rogar, that's actually true. Many insurers did offer discounts to their customers because so many fewer people are commuting to work or school, traveling on vacation, etc. so their loss experience was lower. Unusual circumstances and it likely won't happen again.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I got a $10 discount on my car insurance paid to my bank account. I will find out in a month if the annual rate has dropped. My house insurance went up 25% in July due to thehigh rate of weather-related claims. Can't win with insurance.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Just got a flyer from Costco saying they now sell car insurance. Might be worth checking out too??

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just got a flyer from Costco saying they now sell car insurance. Might be worth checking out too??
    Great! I'll check it out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, don't look at car insurance in isolation. Aggregate car/home/umbrella whatever you have. Our total cost is much cheaper with Farmer's is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago. Agents matter too-our new agent dropped our premiums significantly so we stayed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Catherine, don't look at car insurance in isolation. Aggregate car/home/umbrella whatever you have. Our total cost is much cheaper with Farmer's is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago. Agents matter too-our new agent dropped our premiums significantly so we stayed with them.
    Yes, I compared the quote I got from State Farm (from a live agent) a few months ago with the Progressive quote I got online, and the State Farm quote is twice as much as the progressive with similar coverages--with the exception of medical payments--they cover you for 25000 for about $6, whereas Progressive charges considerably more for that level.

But I LOVED my State Farm people in NJ. They were SO responsive and helpful all the time. Every time I thought something was going to be a pain, they did it in seconds. So I'm a bit reluctant to dive into the world of anonymous internet agents. I might go back to State Farm here and see what they can do, knowing I can easily sign up with Progressive. As for bundling, yes, they have already given me a quote based on car and home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'd read the fine print about the driving monitor. What are the triggers that will ding you and either result in cancellation or higher rates? I could see them giving you the lowest rate to start but then ratcheting it up after 6 months if your driving wasn't 100% picture perfect every time you got in the car. For instance I would bet that it notes if you even are going 5 mph over the speed limit.

If you love the customer service, I would try to get them to come down at SF because of the Progressive quote. I like jp1's point about the monitor. I'd try to stick with State Farm if I could.

Realistically, each business is in need of a profit regardless of insurer. All my insurance is with one company which is an insurance/financial cooperative with nation-wide business members from most sectors ( I just checked this). It still needs to make a reasonable profit to survive and thrive.

If the price difference is way out of line as your quote seems to be, I would be as suspicious and cautious as you are being. I want my insurer to be there when it is needed and I am prepared to pay appropriately, not excess, to maintain its survival. The question is really - what is an appropriate amount to pay - not what is the cheapest from a business that may not survive. I would check its financials before switching but even that may be hard to do.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    If you love the customer service, I would try to get them to come down at SF because of the Progressive quote. I like jp1's point about the monitor. I'd try to stick with State Farm if I could.
    As a state farm customer who LOVES the customer service I would agree. I would also be willing to pay more to remain with them. (the claims experience when SO had an accident with my car two years ago was awesome. I didn't have to fight with them on the value of the car or anything. They just happily paid.)

Interestingly, SO just bought a car now that we live in the suburbs and need two cars, and between that, and all the other changes, plus state farm's reduced rates for CA car insurance thanks to covid, we got 4 checks from them in one week, totaling about $250 because of rate reductions and higher multi-policy discounts. And the rates weren't bad to begin with. My new suburban rate for my 20 year old honda is about $600/year for full coverage including collision and comprehensive. SO's full coverage for a brand new VW Tiguan (small SUV) is $750/year. The rate for our townhouse, including $150k of building coverage for the interior, is $750/year. In total $2300/year to cover both cars, the house, and a $1M umbrella liability policy. That's dirt cheap. We definitely won't be switching to another carrier anytime soon.

Thread Information