Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oct 31 - will you trick or treat for Halloween?

Nope! We are having record COVID numbers. Yea us!

This will be our first Halloween in this place so I have no idea what to expect. Our development doesn’t seem to have many kids (we’re youthful compared to everyone we’ve met) but the one across the street does.

If we don’t pretend to not be home perhaps we’ll wear costumes relevant for the year with one of us dressed up in full PPE and the other dressed as a giant spiky coronavirus leering over the first one’s shoulder looking intimidating.

We never get many kids, but we will have our lights on and will have candy at the ready for any who may show up.

We have "Trunk or Treat" up here because it's so rural: People take their cars to the school parking lot and open up their trunks, which have treats inside, and the trick-or-treaters walk around to each car. I'm not sure what the rules are this year. We don't participate, usually. I've done 60+ Halloweens and I'm good to sit out a few at this point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Isn't the Mary Kay cosmetics empire based in Texas?
    It is. But they don't hand out Volvos. American manufacturers only (at least in the U.S.) and, apparently, not just Cadillacs anymore. The Cadillacs are for winners.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    It is. But they don't hand out Volvos. American manufacturers only (at least in the U.S.) and, apparently, not just Cadillacs anymore. The Cadillacs are for winners.
    Yes, Mary Kay is based in Dallas. That was one of my misguided attempts at a second income--being a MK consultant. I'm a horrible salesperson to begin with and the days of people hosting parties in their homes is pretty much dead. I was late to the party realizing that. I felt like I was assaulting my friends every time I suggested they host a party. That didn't last long, and the best use I got from that big box of makeup samples I paid for was it was a huge hit at my DD's 9th birthday party.

But they do have decent cosmetics.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I believe they've added BMW's to the mix. There's a pink one locally that I'm pretty sure is Mary Kay because as a former BMW owner I can't believe they'd do that to a perfectly fine automobile.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If our town allows it, I will put together bags of candy and either hand them out (while masked, maybe with a funny or spooky grabber) or leave them in a bowl on our porch.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Catherine - I cannot imagine you as a salesperson! That's not an insult - it just doesn't sound like you.
    I have only been to two home sales parties in my life and I was under 20 years old for both of them (one was makeup and one was "Naughty Nighty). In my adult life, I took a hard stand against attending them as I did with baby showers. I just didn't do them. You know how some people just cannot say no? I am not one of those people.

Funny to remember the home sales parties from long ago. I still have a number of Tupperware containers from that era and love them.

More recently I was invited to a skincare party by my neighbour who coincidently had won a fancy white convertible for her sales success. That car was a marvellous item to watch the top fold back - like a kid's transformer. She took me for a ride in it which was my first one in a convertible on a gorgeous spring day. When later invited to her home sale party I felt compelled to attend. I was horrified at what the ladies in their 20's and 30's were spending on the face creams each month. That neighbour has since moved on but I avoid home sale parties.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information