Thread: Climate change scarves

Climate change scarves

Have any of you been following these? I am fascinated and think it is such a cool idea. On the other hand, all I need is another unfinished project. By definition unfinished, I guess, and it might be disturbing, and I like to knit to relax. But I think they are beautiful:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nge-180974231/

I had not heard if this, it could be interesting to do.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

On the one hand, it is a craft commensurate with my skill level. On the other hand, I don't need a scarf. .
    Interesting idea to create a visual record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    On the one hand, it is a craft commensurate with my skill level. On the other hand, I don't need a scarf. .
    Interesting idea to create a visual record.
    There are different ways to do it--I am tempted to do one for the year of my dad's birth and one for last year, in the same specific location. He would be intrigued.

Thank you for posting this Tybee. I think this would be a great craft gift for a young knitter. I could gift temperatures for year of their birth and yarn colors to work with so they could start right away. Then they could get the info on last year's or this year's temperatures and knit away. A great way for them to focus on the variations they see and follow the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkgreen View Post
    Thank you for posting this Tybee. I think this would be a great craft gift for a young knitter. I could gift temperatures for year of their birth and yarn colors to work with so they could start right away. Then they could get the info on last year's or this year's temperatures and knit away. A great way for them to focus on the variations they see and follow the weather.
    How would you find the temps of the years of their birth? I must be missing something here. How do you keep all the colours sorted out?

I just discovered that it is a national site, therefore USA only.
    Last edited by razz; 10-12-20 at 3:43pm. Reason: more info
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    How would you find the temps of the years of their birth? I must be missing something here. How do you keep all the colours sorted out?

I just discovered that it is a national site, therefore USA only.
    No, I found people doing them in England and America. But you have to get the climate info for where you want to track. Then, people seem to assign colors randomly, with cool colors contrasting with warm. Some people did it by 10 degree increment.

I'm only thinking about all those ENDS! All the color changes and working the ends in.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yeah, those ends. I don't think I'd wear it, just hang it on the wall like a chart.

I'm also unclear on the colors, too. It would make more sense if it were all shades in the same color family--some of the scarves make more sense to me than others. And like Razz says, how the heck do you keep those colors sorted?

Maybe I will just stick to socks and mittens. Or do a temperature experiment on socks, like a month of temperatures.

Thread Information