Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Relieved. Received my ballot yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    I'm sure some of his faithful will show up as Trump has exhorted them to, and I hope they are photographed and subsequently ushered out by local authorities, as they likely won't be authorized poll watchers. I'd love to hear Trump explain himself on that issue, but there are so many of them.

In Tuesday night's debate, Trump also summoned his supporters to the polls by telling them to "watch" the polls.
    "I'm urging my supporters to go into the polls and watch very carefully, because that's what has to happen. I am urging them to do it," Trump said. "As you know today, there was a big problem in Philadelphia they went in to watch ... they were thrown out. They weren't allowed to watch. You know why? Bad things happen in Philadelphia."The Trump supporters at that polling station were in fact removed because they weren't approved to be there, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. Additionally, a legal ruling in Pennsylvania says poll watchers are not allowed to watch polls from counties in which they don't reside. Trump supporters would be breaking the law if they flood Philadelphia from outside of the county. (American Independent)
    The only poll watchers I have had direct contact with are of the Democratic Party. There is nothing wrong with poll watching, just do it according to the rules.

It wouldn’t surprise me to know that 99% of the voting populace are not familiar with the concept of official poll watchers and how to be one. That some people are “thrown out “is not alarming to me because they probably just showed up thinking they could be poll watchers. That’s not how it works, they have to register and follow rules.

I'm sure some of his faithful will show up as Trump has exhorted them to, and I hope they are photographed and subsequently ushered out by local authorities, as they likely won't be authorized poll watchers. I'd love to hear Trump explain himself on that issue, but there are so many of them.
    Just out of curiosity, what would you expect the Trump faithful to do if they show up at the polls and hang out watching the process? Is there some concern they will follow folks into the ballot box and watch their selections over their shoulder, suggesting they change a choice if it's not the preferred one?

Personally, I don't see the threat to democracy of unauthorized poll watchers hanging out at the polls as long as they don't get in my way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what would you expect the Trump faithful to do if they show up at the polls and hang out watching the process? Is there some concern they will follow folks into the ballot box and watch their selections over their shoulder, suggesting they change a choice if it's not the preferred one?

Personally, I don't see the threat to democracy of unauthorized poll watchers hanging out at the polls as long as they don't get in my way.
    I would expect voter intimidation, personally. It's happened often enough before.
    This time, though, I expect there will be people who will nip that kind of thing in the bud. At least I hope so.

I would expect voter intimidation, personally.
    What type of intimidation? Looking surly? Wearing a red hat? I'm not sure I understand what type of intimidation you're concerned about.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What type of intimidation? Looking surly? Wearing a red hat? I'm not sure I understand what type of intimidation you're concerned about.
    Showing up with weapons, asking voters for ID, etc. Voter intimidation has a history, especially in precincts where there are many black/POC voters. There was a case in New Jersey where Republicans were sued for deliberate interference at the polls in 1981. There's no end to their dirty tricks.
    "Morales-Doyle said the president's comments were also concerning because they could lead others to fear showing up to the polls.

"He’s giving people reason to fear showing up to vote, and it's fear that’s going to be felt by certain people more than others," he said. "There’s a history in this country of people engaging in violence to prevent people of color, Black people in particular, from voting." "

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...cerns-n1241613

1981? The trouble with so many of these voter intimidation memes is the subjectivity of “intimidation”. Much like the cancel culture tactic of claiming the right to silence someone because someone else “feels unsafe”. What is reasonable electioneering and what isn’t?

Stewart Rhodes, representing a group called Oath Keepers, told the Los Angeles Times that group members would be "out Election Day to protect people who are voting"... some would be carrying concealed weapons.

Devin Burghart, Executive Director of the Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights expects "far-right groups would be standing by at polls in MI, PA, and WI".

My dear wife, who already voted on an absentee ballot in Wisconsin, was incredulous. "Protect people who are voting FROM WHAT?", she asked.

Even tho guns are not allowed at voting places here, I guarantee there will be guns carried into the polling places. They will be concealed. The holders will not have concealed carry licenses. The guns are not held legally. Oh, these are not far right Individuals, they are thugs And walking around every day with a concealed weapon is their life.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    1981? The trouble with so many of these voter intimidation memes is the subjectivity of “intimidation”. Much like the cancel culture tactic of claiming the right to silence someone because someone else “feels unsafe”. What is reasonable electioneering and what isn’t?
    A law suit was brought and won, in that case. Republicans were held in check until SCOTUS overturned the Voting Rights Act, so now they have free rein again to do whatever they can to suppress the vote.

A law suit was brought and won, in that case. Republicans were held in check until SCOTUS overturned the Voting Rights Act, so now they have free rein again to do whatever they can to suppress the vote.
    So you anticipate armed mobs outside polling places shouting threats? Sounds like another Tuesday in Seattle.

Thread Information