Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Yes. I saw it as a big tell, most likely revealing two things: 1. Her own opinion and 2. The opinions and words used by those she spends the bulk of her time with.
    It is entirely possible that a wealthy white woman of her age, of her religion, of her culture might not be up on the current terms used in other communities.

If it's not something one has interest in, it's probably foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    LDAHL, in terms of the left use of the word "preference" you may be confusing "sexual preference" for preferences for gender/pronoun identification which is a preference for how one wants to be identified from a gender, not sexual perspective.
    If that’s the case, where was the outrage when RBG used it? Or Joe Biden? This whole kerfuffle seems awfully contrived to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This whole kerfuffle seems awfully contrived to me.
    Agreed.

I greatly dislike this trend of making a kerfuffle out of every small thing, when there are quite serious things freely available to make kerfuffles about.

I watched a little bit yesterday, and some today. Generally, I was just disgusted. I’ve never watched these hearings in the past, because I was working. But this was thinly veiled campaigning, coupled with also thinly veiled, IMO, insults. Not befitting of “great leaders.”

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Agreed.

I greatly dislike this trend of making a kerfuffle out of every small thing, when there are quite serious things freely available to make kerfuffles about.
    As someone who would potentially be harmed if we retire and move to a state that doesn't believe in marriage equality I would state that the small things matter. It won't seem like a minor kerfuffle if I'm told at the ER that I'm not allowed to be with SO because our soon to be done marriage (we've decided to elevate him, and myself I suppose, from SO to DH now that we own a home) isn't "real". Details matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    As someone who would potentially be harmed if we retire and move to a state that doesn't believe in marriage equality I would state that the small things matter. It won't seem like a minor kerfuffle if I'm told at the ER that I'm not allowed to be with SO because our soon to be done marriage (we've decided to elevate him, and myself I suppose, from SO to DH now that we own a home) isn't "real". Details matter.
    Congratulations, JP!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Congratulations, JP!
    Thanks! It’s not going to happen this month but if it did it would be the same month as several of our friends, and my sister, twelve years ago. Twelve years ago in October a lot of LGBT folks in California got married because of a justifiable fear that Prop 8 would take away their right to marry. As it did. The fact that that happened just 12 years ago in blue blue California is why it’s perfectly reasonable to expect ACB will be harming us as soon as she has the chance if the republicans succeed in jamming her sad confirmation through. She’s not the opinionless twit she’s pretending to be for the tv cameras.

Congratulations, JP. It is the details and the language that show attitude. She will be making the world worse for many people.

I don’t see that it is the job of judges to make the world a better or worse place (whatever your conception of better or worse may be). They are there to maintain a process of ensuring that the law as written is observed, not to create newer, more congenial laws. That is the job of a different branch of government.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don’t see that it is the job of judges to make the world a better or worse place (whatever your conception of better or worse may be). They are there to maintain a process of ensuring that the law as written is observed, not to create newer, more congenial laws. That is the job of a different branch of government.
    You sound like Amy C. Barrett.

Thread Information