Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    she wouldn't even given an answer as to whether a President could pardon himself???!!?
    Is that a matter of settled law?

Are there precedents?

Would the answer depend on the specific fact pattern?

I'm pissed off at Barrett's refusal to engage in any meaningful conversation...seems she's just flipping off Congress by refusing to give any answers at all.
    I thought it was interesting to see Senators trying to get her to commit to their favored legal activism while simultaneously decrying potential legal activism. Refusing to play that game was smart.

she wouldn't even given an answer as to whether a President could pardon himself???!!?
    I believe without precedent to glean an answer from, it's an untested legal theory requiring more than an off the cuff answer.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There is no escape from judicial activism with a court that has power it shouldn't have, that should be in elected representatives.

To throw out the ACA, ridiculous, the supreme court never should have the ability to weigh in on legislative matters like that, actual governance is too important to leave to unelected lifetime appointments.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    To throw out the ACA, ridiculous, the supreme court never should have the ability to weigh in on legislative matters like that, actual governance is too important to leave to unelected lifetime appointments.
    So you're not a fan of their decision in Marbury v. Madison?

As is often the case Supreme Court cases often get decided because of quirky ‘technicalities’ for lack of a better word. It will be interesting to see if the court feels that the individual mandate in the ACA is considered to be severance from the rest of the law. Both Kavanaugh and Roberts have, in other decisions, leaned towards the belief that provisions of laws that get struck down as unconstitutional should be severed if possible, leaving the remainder of the law in force. Will they come to that conclusion with the current ACA case? Only time will tell.

I see the Senate Judiciary Committee has sent the nomination forward. The Democrats stayed away and sent cardboard figures in their stead.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see the Senate Judiciary Committee has sent the nomination forward. The Democrats stayed away and sent cardboard figures in their stead.
    Indeed. And ignored their own rule that two members of the minority party needed to be present.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. And ignored their own rule that two members of the minority party needed to be present.
    I don't think they ignored the rule, they waived it due to the minority party's refusal to attend. Boy, when the Democrats abandoned the filibuster as a means to their preferred end they opened up a real can of worms, didn't they?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think they ignored the rule, they waived it due to the minority party's refusal to attend. Boy, when the Democrats abandoned the filibuster as a means to their preferred end they opened up a real can of worms, didn't they?
    Expect to hear a lot of punditganda that it’s not court packing, it’s court reform.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Expect to hear a lot of punditganda that it’s not court packing, it’s court reform.
    I guess I don't understand... how is not court packing by putting Barrett in during the election right now? How was it not court packing when Merrick Garland was not allowed to be part of the SCOTUS because it was too close the election (what 8 months later)? I am not trying to snark but don't understand the difference.

Thread Information