Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    READ ABOUT HER.
    I've read lots about her, but I haven't gotten to the Margaret Atwood novel many seem to be basing their impressions on. Do you think that's worth pursuing?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've read lots about her, but I haven't gotten to the Margaret Atwood novel many seem to be basing their impressions on. Do you think that's worth pursuing?
    Not really. Just the actual details about the nutty fringe group she belongs to. Combine that with the fact that she’s comfortable showing up at political events the day after her confirmation and you might get an idea why the rest of us question her ability to carry out her duties with even a vague semblance of judicial temperament. I don’t expect you will actually do this but I’m going to try and act as optimistic as ldahl is.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Not really. Just the actual details about the nutty fringe group she belongs to. Combine that with the fact that she’s comfortable showing up at political events the day after her confirmation and you might get an idea why the rest of us question her ability to carry out her duties with even a vague semblance of judicial temperament. I don’t expect you will actually do this but I’m going to try and act as optimistic as ldahl is.
    Has she shown a lack of judicial temperament previously?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I don’t expect you will actually do this but I’m going to try and act as optimistic as ldahl is.
    Why wouldn’t I be optimistic? Soon the frumious bandersnatch will be defeated, and we can go about creating a country we can be proud of. We can pack the court with right-thinking jurists. We can even pack the flag with new states populated by people who understand their true interests are best served by a wise and compassionate elite who knows them better than they do. We can finally dispense with Citizens United and go about creating the Bill of Rights 2.0. We will cleanse the Earth and create new jobs as rainbow benders and unicorn wranglers; and we’ll just send the bill to rich jerks nobody likes anyway. Dangerous organizations like the Knights of Columbus and the Federalist Society will finally be rooted out by a new breed of superprosecutors. It will be great.

Has she shown a lack of judicial temperament previously?
    How many episodes of judicial distemper do we need? One, the day after she was confirmed isn't enough for us to be concerned?

JP, some people can’t wait for others to lose their rights. Any facts will fall on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    JP, some people can’t wait for others to lose their rights. Any facts will fall on deaf ears.
    It's more like some people don't get worked up about others dystopian fantasies. By the way, what "rights" do you fear losing?

It's more like some people don't get worked up about others dystopian fantasies. By the way, what "rights" do you fear losing?
    I don’t personally face this infringement on my rights but if I were black I’d fear my right ‘not to be called the N word by my boss With no consequences to him. Personally I’m more concerned about my right to adopt children from an agency that receives government funding. Or my right to get married.

As a older white woman I don’t anticipate losing rights. Younger women will lose their right to control their own bodies and JP mentioned some others. 20 years ago it was still a felony in some states to have sex with someone of the same sex. People did get prosecuted. In the past a man could rape a woman causing a pregnancy and then be raped again by society by not being able to make her own choice about the pregnancy. If states get to make individual decisions on this issue only women with enough money will have the right to choose.

I FULLY anticipate older people losing rights!!!

The court has already weakened protection against age discrimination in employment (an already weak law before that), technically that's everyone over 40, though probably happening more over 50. It's gendered too as it affects more women than men. But I don't expect some who could never even imagine being affected by the problems others face to grasp it.

A right more immediately affected for some is the right to vote of course, now I don't worry about that because I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA, but it affects others.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information