Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I must have missed that. I have noticed over these past few days how every other questioner has spent the majority of their 30 minute questioning period trying to imply her intention to overturn everything that's dear to them, but haven't seen her approach the bait.

What did I miss?
    She inadvertently stated that she views sexual orientation as a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At least she did inadvertently explain how she intends to justify overturning marriage equality.
    She inadvertently stated that she views sexual orientation as a choice.
    What does her view have to do with marriage equality and why do you think she intends to overturn it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Because she’s said as much. And she’s going to justify it by stating that not being heterosexual is a choice therefore not subject to the same rights as other people.

She very specifically was willing to agree with being against marriage discrimination yesterday when asked about black people deserving equal rights and very not willing to do so with regard to LGBT people. You can ignore it all you want but if a case giving her the opportunity comes up I fully expect her to vote to overturn marriage equality and I will be here to sadly say i told you so.’ It won’t affect me either way because I live in a progressive state but it WILL harm people in less progressive states.

Because she’s said as much. And she’s going to justify it by stating that not being heterosexual is a choice therefore not subject to the same rights as other people.
    I suppose you're basing all this on her use of the phrase "sexual preference" rather than the preferred "sexual orientation" while answering a question. I know that we can all often read very much from very little but I have to admire the leap you took on that one.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Words matter

When did “sexual preference” become offensive? The media is full of instances of people on the left using it. Is it one of those terms permissible only to particular speakers?

Apparently it has been an ongoing evolution of the language.

The New York Times Style Guide from 2013 says:

sexual orientation. Never sexual preference, which carries the disputed implication that sexuality is a matter of choice. Cite a person's sexual orientation only when it is pertinent and its pertinence is clear to the reader. Also see bisexual; gay; lesbian; straight.

An article from 1991 in American Psychologist says:

"The term sexual orientation is preferred to sexual preference for psychological writing and refers to sexual and affectional relationships of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and heterosexual people. The word preference suggests a degree of voluntary choice that is not necessarily reported by lesbians and gay men and that has not been demonstrated in psychological research."

LDAHL, in terms of the left use of the word "preference" you may be confusing "sexual preference" for preferences for gender/pronoun identification which is a preference for how one wants to be identified from a gender, not sexual perspective.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Words matter
    And lawyers choose them VERY carefully because they understand this better than the rest of us.

It's actually pretty remarkable that she made this slip considering how completely robotic and inhumanly devoid of opinions she has managed to make herself seem otherwise, which makes it all the more telling that it happened.

Yes. I saw it as a big tell, most likely revealing two things: 1. Her own opinion and 2. The opinions and words used by those she spends the bulk of her time with.

Thread Information