Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB Hearings

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I doubt we’d be hearing much from the opposition. Some forms of bigotry seem more acceptable than others.
    And if you don't think republicans would be howling to the moon if a democratic president nominated even a mainstream muslim to the court I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Personally, I'd like to see more variety on the court. I don't know how we ended up with six Catholics and three Jews--talk about lack of diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Republican hypocrites!
    It appears both parties have changed their mind on this one, but, that's politics.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see more variety on the court. I don't know how we ended up with six Catholics and three Jews--talk about lack of diversity.
    Damn, we need us some white anglo saxon Protestants there!

i had no idea it is 3 Jews and 6 Catholics.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Imagine the freak out and scrutiny that would be happening if she were in a fringe Muslim group instead of a fringe catholic group.
    Yes, the left would love her rather than despise her. That's the funny thing about identity politics, it's goofy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Damn, we need us some white anglo saxon Protestants there!

i had no idea it is 3 Jews and 6 Catholics.
    One of the Catholics I referenced (I forget who) is attending an Episcopal church; I guess he's the diversity, though I'm sure the Catholic Church still claims him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Yes. The too many Asians at Harvard argument

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, the left would love her rather than despise her. That's the funny thing about identity politics, it's goofy.
    If we thought she was capable of making legal decisions based on the law rather than on her personal religious opinions sure. Unfortunately ACB has made enough public statements to make it clear that she’s not likely to be honorable as far as that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we thought she was capable of making legal decisions based on the law rather than on her personal religious opinions sure. Unfortunately ACB has made enough public statements to make it clear that she’s not likely to be honorable as far as that goes.
    I'm glad there's no religious test for public office. Well, not if it's a Liberal or Progressive, but we need to watch out for those dishonorable potential Conservatives.

I'm always impressed though with how our Justices seldom turn out to be the stereotypical ideologues their opponents make them out to be, so I can't place much credence in the Democrats attempts to malign Judge Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I'm always impressed though with how our Justices seldom turn out to be the stereotypical ideologues their opponents make them out to be, so I can't place much credence in the Democrats attempts to malign Judge Barrett.
    I'm hoping she'll hew to the "strict interpretation" thing, and not to the "my husband tells me what to think, as my cult leader prescribes" thing. You're right though--you can't always tell how they'll fall on the spectrum.

Thread Information