Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected issues with streaming services

Unexpected issues with streaming services

My church (small 150ish members) has been streaming services since late March with a minimum number of people (priest and two singers, the singers were a married couple). More people were allowed as we came out of the lockdown. For a long time services were streamed on FB with someone's smartphone. Since we realized this was going to need to be done for longer than originally expected, several people donated $$ for a good camera and a couple of microphones. Streaming via smartphone had drawbacks of sometimes iffy sound and sometimes the person doing it that week didn't shut off the vibrations for notifications (on an Android phone) or put the phone on the tripod the wrong way (so the video was sideways). We now also stream on YouTube as many people find that easier to access (although you can access video on FB if you're not a member).

Now that we have a better camera, it's up in the balcony and you can see the entire church. The smartphone was in the middle of the church, close to the altar area. You only saw people when they went up for communion.

Here is where we come into the issues...

We're now allowed 40 people at services.

We've had several people who now refuse to come to church because they are worried about privacy issues and are now refusing to come to church.

Are your congregations running into weird issues with streaming services?

Yppej
    At my brother's Zoom church people were super relaxed being at home. One guy was hard to hear because he was snacking and talking with his mouth full of food.

Yes, my church has had some angst among members regarding privacy issues. The Sunday service is broadcast on YouTube, now only the minister and videographer in the building (California is still closed) so there’s less of an issue currently, but when the church is open, there is a section that is out of camera range for those who wish to remain anonymous. The chat feature on YouTube had to be disabled, a.so to protect privacy of the members.

Oh, you mean people don’t want anyone to know they are attending a church service? I have a hard time understanding this one.

I find it very easy to understand for many reasons. Just as an example: making it super easy for anyone to check that regularly on Sundays your house is empty; what's online is there potentially forever and facial recognition sw is getting more and more advanced - people might be concerned that themselves and/or their kids will be easily categorized as associated with some religious group; people might have concerns showing their children online; making it visible if (or in case of high quality cameras even how much) they contribute to donations box ...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh, you mean people don’t want anyone to know they are attending a church service? I have a hard time understanding this one.
    They don’t want to be shown on the video.

Quote Originally Posted by meri View Post
    I find it very easy to understand for many reasons. Just as an example: making it super easy for anyone to check that regularly on Sundays your house is empty; what's online is there potentially forever and facial recognition sw is getting more and more advanced - people might be concerned that themselves and/or their kids will be easily categorized as associated with some religious group; people might have concerns showing their children online; making it visible if (or in case of high quality cameras even how much) they contribute to donations box ...
    People are mostly seen from behind, except for entering and leaving, and going up for Communion. You’d have to specifically know people in the congregation to be able to know someone wasn’t at home. And we have no passed donation plate since the plague hit. People either mail it or drop it in a locked box at the back of the church.

I don’t post vacation photos until we get home on Facebook for safety reasons and I would presume it’s the same for the church people.

Mostly older folks who aren’t on social media at all.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Aside from the comments already posted, I basically think that it is nobody's business whether I attend that church service. I go to church for peace and inspiration not to have the feeling of people peering over my shoulder online.
    That this has arisen is more an issue that could have been managed differently from the outset. As has been mentioned, position the camera on the speaker, possibly the soloist and musician.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information