Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    And graupel.
    I’ve learned a new word today! (Too bad I will literally never have the chance to use it where I live. Or maybe I should say ‘thankfully I will never have the chance to use it here.’)

I weather has been nice. It is dry and we have a fire warning out in my county.

We had a very very nice August and September. Usually I hate September. It is my least favorite month because by then I’m ready for that unrelenting heat and humidity to be over, but it’s still going strong in September. Yet this year we had many days in the 70s and low 80s. October so far has been nice, a little warm but dry like California. There were two days where I thought oh so this is what California weather is like.

I don’t miss the long Midwest winters although it’s pretty in certain places.

We have decided NOT to go to NJ this winter, so we will be the lone homestead in a summer camp community, facing the howling north wind off of Lake Champlain. So, yes, Tybee, I have to buck up, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We had a hard frost this morning- supposed to get up to 60 today. It's been a glorious fall here in Piedmont Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No thank you. It’s going to be 91 here today followed by 51 overnight. I can’t imagine weather more perfect.
    You're right.. but doesn't perfection get boring??

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Do you have a pellet stove or wood stove? Did I remember pellet? My son gets his in now for the whole winter; can you do that there?

I think it sounds like great fun, very romantic, like Walden. And yes, I lived in upstate New York over winters where I was all alone all the week, on 75 acres, heating with wood, and it was great experience in many ways. I bet the little house will be very snug. It will be so neat to have the lake to yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Do you have a pellet stove or wood stove? Did I remember pellet? My son gets his in now for the whole winter; can you do that there?

I think it sounds like great fun, very romantic, like Walden. And yes, I lived in upstate New York over winters where I was all alone all the week, on 75 acres, heating with wood, and it was great experience in many ways. I bet the little house will be very snug. It will be so neat to have the lake to yourselves!
    We do have a wood stove which we love. We just got in a cord from a very good supplier. (First wood guy took us for fools, which we were, and sold us green wood. Now I pick up the wood and feel it for its lightness and dryness.).

I know it will probably be lovely and romantic, but it will also be tough. You're right about Walden! This is definitely a case of "Watch out for what you pray for because you might get it!!" See my bookshelf which has my favorite books:

IMG_1866.jpg

So, I guess this is it! My chance to "live deliberately" through a cold VT winter

Snowed here yesterday and today.

I have all the fall chores done, so this snow is not an inconvenience for me. I placed a scraper and brush in the Jeep for use over the winter.

I am eager for a few inches to accumulate, so I can snow-shoe on a regular basis. There are Wildlife Management Areas and Forests all over the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin. This year, in defiance of COVID, I plan to tramp all over these lands.

Joys come from simple and natural things: mists over meadows, sunlight on leaves, the path of the moon over water. -- Sigurd F. Olson

(I feel certain that Sigurd Olson would agree, if I added to his list, "the sighing of the wind in the needles of the red pines.")

We haven't had much snow in recent years; we have had graupel--we had some last week, in fact.
    This winter is supposed to be colder and wetter.

Thread Information