Thread: October Frugals

October Frugals

It's over halfway through the month so I guess time for this thread.

I am doing pretty well. Today I was first in the door and got a neck trim only not a haircut as I am growing out my sides. The cost savings is over 50%. I was in the salon 10 minutes tops, low risk, three other people there, two stylists and one other customer.

Now that I am allowed to go clothes and shoes shopping I have no desire to do so even with the change of seasons. If only the government realized the forbidden is alluring and said use your judgment and do activities at your own risk we might have a better virus response.

We are getting a new router but it will fit within the budget.

I finally got a library card up here. I have to start curtailing my one-click trigger finger for Kindle. I got the library card specifically so I could take out Being Mortal, which was recommended over in the book review thread. That's a book I would want to read, but not keep.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have saved a bunch of money by no longer going out for happy hour and appetizers a few times a week. We are only eating out once a week. With some of the money we saved I bought a new picture and cabinet for my dining room and new kitchen pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I finally got a library card up here. I have to start curtailing my one-click trigger finger for Kindle. I got the library card specifically so I could take out Being Mortal, which was recommended over in the book review thread. That's a book I would want to read, but not keep.
    The library here has an extensive eBook collection--the best of both worlds.

When I moved to Washington, movers were still hauling furniture in when I arrived at the Bellevue library to apply for a library card--the best bargain ever for my tax dollars.

We put everything possible on our credit card every month including some utilities (free travel of course). Our balance due in November? Lowest in 20 years. (I say balance due because we pay in full every single month).

As a rule it averages 75% more than this month. Our checking account balance is lovely

Like Gardnr, we put all purchases/bills possible on credit card to get points, and pay it off monthly. Ours goes for Amazon credit, which is very useful. This month's credit will help offset the cost of ink cartridges for the printer - I try to always have a cartridge on hand. We are really trying to not spend any extra, as we adjust to covering spending/expenses with retirement income, and this month we're about half of last month for non-fixed expenses. One of the problems with being generally frugal is there's not as much to cut back ON when income declines! Not that we don't have plenty of places to cut, but there's not much easy stuff. I like reading about other people's frugals - it helps!

I saw my pay increase in the payroll system today. With gas prices staying low it should more than pay for my increased commute, and said commute will take up a little more of my time so I am less tempted to go out and spend money.

Staying home has helped me learn that I don't actually need to go out and buy things that I don't really need in exchange for a small chemical pleasure reaction in my brain. I used to get really agitated and fidgety if I spent more than a few days at home. Now I seem fine sitting at home for days on end. Apparently, all I needed was to be forced to.

I do miss some of the amazing restaurants around here, though... but maybe I shouldn't talk about that or my salivary glands may kick into overdrive.

My auto insurance rates are finally going back to normal after 6 years penalties for an accident I was in. I drive very defensively now.

Thread Information